Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop helpplz, it keeps shutting down

• Please log in to reply

pammazan

pammazan

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
i was sitting in bed trying to get into game servers on world of warcraft and my computer just shuts off randomly nor error message or anything. this isnt the 1st time it happend the 1st time my computer got really hot so i thot that was it, well no my computer wasnt hot this time so it hink its somthing else. also the time after that when it shut down the power wasnt plugged in so i thought it could have been it draind the battery, nope it just shut down on me 5 mins ago.

i ran a disk check the other day and it froze on stage 5 at 55% i tried it again, same thing. also no viruses i ran a scan, and no new installed programs

sorry about the length i jsut thoguht it would help if you knew what i was doing at the time

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Running chkdsk and it stalling at the point you are describing is not uncommon.
It seems to stall but let it run to completion. In bad systems it could take a couple of hours to complete and maybe more.

I also suggest that since the system got HOT the first time and now this is happening more and more, then you may have a overheating issue. The reason it may not feel hot now is because the internal shutdown on the cpu is shutting the system down to prevent damage to the CPU

You may want to have it looked at and before then try blowing out the vents in the laptop to make sure air flow is not impeded.

pammazan

pammazan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
well i was talking to my dad, hes kinda a computer guy, and he said WoW uses so much of my computer it basically kicks the [bleep] out of it wich ultimaly makes it very hot. i do run a cooling fan o it most of the time and keepthe up on a home made stand so that i do not block airflow i left the scan disk running all night and it still sat at that 55% marker

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What is the make and model of your laptop? I tend to believe your dad is right about WOW