Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Maxtor Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

Hakiim8

Hakiim8

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a computer bought off eBay Gateway ATXAEG LX3 700S. It's built with Sata and after connecting the Maxtor hard drive to the power source and the PCI card. The bios will not read the hard drive. I try to format Windows XP and the setup says, cannot read hard drive. In bios the master drive does not show the hard drive and only one DVD master drive is shown. Is there anything I can do or have I been had ?

Advertisements

Trippster

Trippster

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Just to clarify a couple things here.

1. This is an internal hard drive?
2. By "built with SATA" do you mean the Maxtor drive is a Sata drive and thats how it is currently plugged in?
3. What do you mean plugged it into the PCI card?

Just covering the basics to start with.

Edited by Trippster, 09 June 2009 - 02:54 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
A google search shows the computer to be about 6 years old.
If I read the post right, I believe he is attempting to install XP on a sata hard drive that is connected to a sata pci card. Being 6 years old, I do not believe that computer had sata on the board.

I am not quite sure how to proceed. XP does not recognize sata drives until you install their drivers using F6 during install. Since the drive is connected to a card, I suspect those drivers need to be installed 1st. I'm not quite sure how. There might be a pci boot option in bios, and then it might ask for the sata card driver CD so they can be loaded. (This is just a hunch though).

123runner

Hakiim8

Hakiim8

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The internal hard drive is sata connected to a sata pci card.