Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A question about processors.

• Please log in to reply

Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Why are AMD processors so cheap in comparison to Intel? Between these two which is the better choice. I would be using the computer primarily for gaming for games such as WoW and Gunz: The Duel.

Intel Processor
AMD Processor

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Why are AMD processors so cheap in comparison to Intel?

Because, with the introduction of the Core 2 Duos a few years ago, Intel recaptured the lead and with only a couple exceptions across the whole line, Intel CPUs offer better performance, less power consumption, and less heat generation than AMD CPUs. So the only area AMD can compete, is in price.

Let me make it clear, that does not mean AMDs are bad - you can make a most excellent computer using AMD. But if pure performance weighs more than costs, Intel is the way to go.

As far as which is better for you, that depends on many factors, including your budget. If me, I would visit the WoW and Gunz forums and ask the question there. But be warned - many "fanboys" from both sides will trash the other with exceptions. Discard them and listen to the overall message.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If I may add my opinion in on this as well. I have been using AMD for the past 10 years. Originally because they were used more for multimedia and gaming. Now as my esteem fellow staff member Digerati states:

"Let me make it clear, that does not mean AMDs are bad - you can make a most excellent computer using AMD. But if pure performance weighs more than costs, Intel is the way to go"

Both CPU's have the strong points and those on both sides will argue their points.
Be aware that the MOBO's are different for the CPU's. A Intel MOBO will not support a AMD cpu and vice versa. I have four Intel based systems in my house and my personal system is a AMD
It is a matter of personal preference and as stated above your budget also.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

As far as which is better for you, that depends on many factors, including your budget. If me, I would visit the WoW and Gunz forums and ask the question there. But be warned - many "fanboys" from both sides will trash the other with exceptions. Discard them and listen to the overall message.

If that's true, wouldn't Formaldehyde be better served by staying here and getting objective advice, rather than having to filter the subjective opinions of fanboys? :). We have extremely knowledgeable hardware techs here that can undoubtedly help in determining what would suit his needs.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

If that's true, wouldn't Formaldehyde be better served by staying here and getting objective advice, rather than having to filter the subjective opinions of fanboys? :). We have extremely knowledgeable hardware techs here that can undoubtedly help in determining what would suit his needs.

Normally yes, but he said he plays those specific games. I would expect the regulars on those sites would have better insight as to which CPU platform provides better "game play". Unless someone here has specific knowledge about those games, we can only guess - or make a generalized blanket statement, as I did with Intel. I would make the same recommendation for graphics cards too. Some games play better with AMD/ATI GPUs and some play better with nVidia. If you are hooked on one game, ask other's hooked on that game what HW platforms plays best.

I am not trying to send anyone away, just get them the right information.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Some games play better with AMD/ATI GPUs and some play better with nVidia.

while there are some applications that are designed to be (relatively) manufacturer specific (like 3d CAD applications) i don't know of any that are actually 100% specific that will only work with X card from X brand...

it's GENERALLY more an issue of misconfiguration or using the wrong driver version that causes issues with games and other apps....and MOST of these apps have work arounds or patches for these events...

with processors....i don't know of any games that have rigid CPU requirements other than minimum speed...there are some corporate level applications that i know of (and have worked with) that are SPECIFICALLY designed not to work with AMD...but that's different

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
As you quoted, I said, "Some games play better". That does not suggest or imply that any are "100% specific that will only work with X card from X brand...".

it's GENERALLY more an issue of misconfiguration or using the wrong driver version that causes issues

I agree 100%. But we were not talking about "issues" which to me, means "problems". If I misinterpreted, I apologize.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Bottom line, it really doesn't matter. Speed being equal, either an AMD or Intel will CPU will run those games equally as well.

AMD is cheaper because they are forced to compete on price. As Digerati correctly pointed out, Intel has had undisputed the speed crown since the introduction of the Core2 CPU. However, using cars as an analogy. Does it really matter if one car goes 0-60 in 5.0 seconds, the other in 5.2 seconds? They're both very fast cars. It also rarely makes sense to buy the fastest processor, as you pay a huge premium. Usually the best price/performance ratio is a couple of steps back.