Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox Problem

• Please log in to reply

loserchik

loserchik

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
My laptop's battery is messed up so when I move my computer in a slight way, it may turn off and now - it just started today - when I reopen Firefox, it doesn't ask me if I would like to "Restore A Previous Session". Does anyone know what to do about this?

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Open Firefox.
Type "About:Config" into the address bar without the quotes.
Choose "I'll be careful, I promise".
At the top in the filter, type in "browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash" or just navigate through to it.
The value will be false if the warning message is off. To change it, double click it twice to "true".

If it already is set at true... We'll try something else :)

loserchik

loserchik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
The value was true :)

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Create new profile: http://kb.mozillazin...Profile_Manager

loserchik

loserchik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Is there another solution other than making another profile?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
What's wrong with creating new profile?

loserchik

loserchik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
I'd just rather not since I had a bad experience before when I tried to make one and I ended up having to reinstall firefox and lost all my bookmarks and all.

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Make a copy of you current Profile folder and place it on your desktop or another drive as a backup.
If things go horribly wrong, you have source files to replace anything you need.

loserchik

loserchik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hmm, I'll try that. But now whenever my computer shuts down or I close a window (not a tab, but that I exit Firefox) I have to log back into every place I was previously logged into.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You may try to create new FF profile, or reinstall FF altogether.

loserchik

loserchik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
I think I might have to reinstall it all together. If I do the same - make a copy of my profile folder and place it in my desktop, will it delete once I uninstall FF to reinstall again?

BTW, where exactly is the profile folder? I'm on C://Program Files>Mozilla Firefox and I don't see it.

Edited by loserchik, 19 June 2009 - 05:32 PM.

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Re-installing Firefox shouldn't be necessary. The problems you describe are usually Profile related, that's why you should try creating a new Profile first.
To find your current Profile, click Start>Run>type %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles>OK.
Make a copy of the ********.default folder (the *'s being random characters) and put it on the desktop as a backup.
To access the Profile Manager to create a new profile, with Firefox closed, click Start>Run>type Firefox.exe -P(note the space between exe and -P)>OK.
Be aware that the new Profile will not be customized (No bookmarks, extensions, etc). The idea being to see if it functions properly. If the problems do not exist in the new Profile, you can bring in your stuff from the old Profile, preferably one thing at a time (that way if the problems suddenly resurface, you can pinpoint what is causing it).

loserchik

loserchik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Unfortunately I did reinstall before I read this but I'll definitely do what you posted if it happens again. Thank you :)

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
Just adding a line of advice / suggestion. You could try the addon Xmarks (Formerly Foxmarks). Several advantages here. Your bookmarks are stored both online and in your browser. The online feature allows you to access your bookmarks from any machine connected to the net, by logging into your Xmark account. Be it a netcafé or at a friend. You can always retrieve the bookmarks from online to a newly installed FireFox.

And last, but not least, it can enhance your search results. In the address line, you will get a info button about the site(s) you visit, and xmarks will automatically suggest 5 similar sites.

https://addons.mozil...efox/addon/2410

loserchik

loserchik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Thank you!