Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Want to build my first computer but need some help/advice

• Please log in to reply

Barcow

Barcow

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all,

I'm looking into building a computer. This would be my first build. I want it to be fast. However, i'm a student and I can afford to spend a lot of money. I'm looking at motherboard bundles with some kind of intel or amd. Any suggestions. Also, i'd like to be able to find a motherboard that won't need a graphics card installed or sound card, but could be upgraded to a graphics card in a year or so, as I do like to play the occassional computer game. (battlefield, half life, counter strike source) I know I don't need more than 200GB of hard drive, and I want at least 4 GB of Ram and potential to upgrade to more, cause as I understand this helps with speed. Also, I'd like to keep it under 400 bucks, w out monitor. Can it be done? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Edited by Barcow, 09 June 2009 - 11:41 PM.

Advertisements

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
You should goto newegg.com and look at there cpu motherboard combo's that they have and choose one of those so you don't have to worry about installing the cpu onto the motherboard because I think when you buy one of there combo deal the cpu comes installed on the mobo already. As for wanting a motherboard with onboard video and audio, that shouldn't be too hard nowadays. Its pretty standard for motherboards to have onboard video and audio and be upgradable via there pci/agp, etc ports. anyways hope this helps a little.

good luck,
Later