Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No user names to log onto on Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

laundry95

laundry95

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello :)

I have a Windows XP computer that I only use for Photoshop. After not using it for a while, I booted it up, but found that I couldn't log on: the welcome screen displayed the Windows XP logo on the left, but no usernames on the right. Ctrl + alt + delete prompted me to enter a name and password to logon, but I wasn't able to get onto my account (I tried all of the password combinations that I could think of). Booting in safe mode gave the same result.

This computer hasn't been connected to the internet for at least a year, and I can't recall running any programs other than Photoshop on it recently. It was at one point networked to this computer, which is (obviously) connected to the internet, but it hasn't been for a while.

I tried looking around for this topic, but I couldn't find any resolved problems that were similar to this one. :/

Thanks for taking the time to look into this. :)

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Log on as an administrator.
Restart the computer.
Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE two times, and then type the name of the administrator user account.
In the Password box, type the administrator password, and then click OK.

Note If the administrator password is set to a blank password, do not type a password before you click OK.

If you didn't set an admin password, then leave it blank and try to login.

Also, do you have your Windows CD?

Edited by edge2022, 10 June 2009 - 07:20 PM.

laundry95

laundry95

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
When you say log on as an admin, do you mean log onto an account with admin capabilities, or is there a default admin account on XP computers that I should be trying to log into? I'm not sure whether or not I can get into any of the accounts with admin abilities, but I'll try.

Not sure about the CD, but I'll look.

Thanks for the response!

Edited by laundry95, 10 June 2009 - 07:27 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
In the user name box type in:
Administrator

And for the password, leave it blank.

This is a default account created during the time Windows was installed that has admin capabilities.

laundry95

laundry95

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I wasn't able to log on as the administrator. I didn't know what the password was, so I tried a blank password and was told that I couldn't log on. Then I decided to try some likely passwords. The first gave me the same prompt. When I tried the second password, the computer seemed to be logging me on (only the cancel button on the prompt was enabled), but after about 30 or so seconds gave me the same prompt. I restarted the computer and tried again, and the same password had the same result each time. I'm pretty sure that it's the administrator password, but I can't seem to get onto the account.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Do you have your Windows CD?

laundry95

laundry95

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Noo... but I'm still looking! I'll let you know when I find it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can borrow one as long as it is the ame type you have on your system (Home or Pro)

Edited by rshaffer61, 12 June 2009 - 11:37 AM.

laundry95

laundry95

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks, rshaffer! But I found mine. :) All ready!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
ok thanks for the update.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Run a repair installation of Windows.
Here is a tutorial: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

laundry95

laundry95

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I ran the repair, but when the welcome screen came up, there were still no names on the right. Nothing changed when I restarted. I tried to log in with ctrl + alt + delete with the same results as before. The only difference is that the Administrator seems to have been reset to blank. :/

Thank you for your help :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
So now you can login as Administrator?

Try creating a new user account.

laundry95

laundry95

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
No - when I try to log on as an administrator with a blank password, I'm still rejected, but the computer spends some extra time trying to log me on, just as it did when I tried to log on as an administrator with the correct password before. Also, the other accounts are still there and do the same thing when the correct passwords are entered.

Ah, technology. :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Go here: http://pcsupport.abo...gr/ophcrack.htm
And read the article. Then download Ophcrack, and burn it to a CD. Boot from it, and find out what user accounts are present on your computer.