Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Ping trouble

• Please log in to reply

01993james

01993james

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
My normal ping is about 20ms, however fairly recently my ping has jumped up to 280ms+
obviously this is not much help when playing online games, so, I'd appreciate it if someone could help me diagnose where the problem is; is it with my ISP or somewhere else? I've posted a traceroute.
thanks in advance,
James

additional info:

--> not video related, if I type "ping google.com" in command prompt I get the same problem, and also I've tried reducing video settings in games.
--> "ping localhost" gives 0ms response time
--> Occasionally I get time out errors for certain sites (google.com, fleud.com) even though their server is still up and running, I don't know if this is related...

Posted Image

Edited by 01993james, 14 June 2009 - 09:27 AM.

Advertisements

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
What firewall are you running?

01993james

01993james

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Comodo.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
It looks like it could be your modem, or your ISP. Once the packet reaches your ISP, there aren't any significant spikes; it's difficult to determine whether your modem is at fault in-so-far as it may be struggling to send packets. The other end is whether the first hop (receiver) is overloaded/faulty and thus failing to handle the packet correctly / within a reasonable time frame. To rule out software interference, try restarting your machine in Safe Mode with Networking.

Step 1 - Restart your machine in Safe Mode with Networking:
Please restart the problematic machine in Safe Mode with Networking and then see if you can get an Internet connection; can you?
*Note: You will not be able to use a wireless connection while in Safe Mode; please ensure all tests are performed with a wired (Ethernet) connection.

What sort of network setup do you have? Are you using an Ethernet (wired) connection or a wireless connection? Are there any other machines in your network? Do they experience the same issue? What happens if you plug your machine directly into the modem? Does the issue persist?

- Dan

01993james

01993james

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
What sort of network setup do you have? // Are you using an Ethernet (wired) connection or a wireless connection?
two computers; a desktop and a laptop. desktop connects to modem/wireless router via cable. laptop connects wireless to the router.
Does the laptop experience the same issue?
Don't know, I'll check tonight which is normally when my ping spikes.
What happens if you plug your machine directly into the modem? Does the issue persist?
it is already plugged in

I'll update this post tonight.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

tonight which is normally when my ping spikes.

If the increase in your ping isn't constant throughout the day, then it's unlikely to be caused by your modem. I'd suggest that you look at your ISP; it's not unreasonable for your latency to increase during peak hours if you are using a cable connection. However, that appears to be a significant increase. It's possible that your ISP is experiencing a temporary issue, but either way I would suggest that you contact them and see what's up.

- Dan

01993james

01993james

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I've tried once, I guess I'll have another go :/

thanks for your help

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Well, it wouldn't hurt trying a ping while in safe mode w/ networking, and a ping from the laptop (when your ping has spiked) to see if the issue is widespread would all help. Did your ISP provide you with any useful response? Or just the usual not-so-helpful generic response(s)?

01993james

01993james

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
well, we signed up to Tesco broadband about a year or so back, but they've since been bought by virgin media... and I was struggling to navigate to somewhere on their [virgin media's] site where they provided appropriate email addresses, live chat, phone number etc.

I'll reply with pings tonight from both computers.

also, nice sig :)

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Sounds good; I'll be waiting. Also, try a fresh tracert to google.com for me (when your spiking -- and maybe one when your not).

- Dan

01993james

01993james

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
well, I've got nothing better to do, so I'll do a trace route now...
..hmm, interesting, when my ping was high, during tracerts to 3 diff sites, it was always the second hop where it increases dramaticly. well then, ISP's fault?

Posted Image

01993james

01993james

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
tracert and ping at 4:30pm (desktop computer)

Posted Image

Edited by 01993james, 15 June 2009 - 09:35 AM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
The ping increases about 4 fold while bouncing around Google's IP's (209.85.251.9 and 209.85.250.54), so thats a Google routing issue.

Judging by your >30ms pings within the Virgin network, it looks like they had some kind of routing issue they fixed under the hood or its very intermittent.

Either way theres nothing you can do about it.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
It could have just been a distance factor there; not sure how Google's rerouting works with pings. Try pinging your local Google address (google.co.uk?) and see what sort of results you get. Like diabillic said, it doesn't look like anything serious, nor anything that you could fix.

01993james

01993james

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
well.... the google.co.uk server is based in the USA...

Thanks for your help :)

Edited by 01993james, 18 June 2009 - 03:27 AM.