Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help with installing new SATA hard drive

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
My current system includes a 80 GB SATA hard drive as my main drive and a 160 GB IDE hard drive as my backup drive. I just purchased a 500 GB SATA hard drive to replace the 160 gig IDE drive.

However, here lies the problem: I built this computer myself, and I recall about 4 years ago, when first installing the 80 GB SATA drive, having a real problem getting my computer to recognize it. I honestly don't remember how I did it. Something about building an array or something. All I remember is that it took me the better part of a day just to get the hard drive recognized by the computer.

Considering this new 500 GB hard drive is also SATA, I'm concerned I might run into a similar problem. Can anyone offer some advice that might make my journey a little easier? Or will installing this new 500 GB SATA drive be as simple as plugging it in since my computer already recognizes the other 80 GB SATA drive?

The new drive is a Western Digital Caviar, model number WD5000AAKS. I don't see any disks or CDs in the package, though I'm pretty sure I remember "building an array" or something from a disk with my 80 GB drive. I could be misremembering, though.

Thanks for any advice,
mike.

Advertisements

Trippster

Trippster

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
I believe since IDE requires a master/slave setup, your first SATA drive may have been difficult to setup. If I were you, I would just go ahead and install it and see what happens.

Kelly Wright

Kelly Wright

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Perhaps the problem you experienced with 80GB SATA drive was the driver. To install Windows, you often have to press F5 and feed in the driver floppy for SATA controller (when facing same situation for the first time, I spent about an hour trying to figure out what was wrong with a brand new box :) ). Since now you're going to plug in another SATA drive as a non-system one for backup purposes (you don't plan to install windows on it, right?) instead of an IDE, there should be no problem at all.
Well, if your mobo supports SATA150 only and the new drive is SATA300, BIOS might not detect it. But usually it is easy to solve.