Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

shredded hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Jimbo01

Jimbo01

• Pip
  • 9 posts
<_< In an attempt to free up disk space on my harddrive,I ran a program designed to eliminate previously deleted files.I stupidly misread the instructions and found out (too late) that the program had shredded all the disk free space.My computer now says that I have no free space available.Can I regain this lost free space?

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
Hi Jim, welcome to Geeks to Go! <_<

You're not quite giving us enough to go on here. What program did you use, and what did you do wrong? Has the reported size of your drive changed, or just the space available?

Jimbo01

Jimbo01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Admin,
Sorry. The program I used was BPS data shredder and I must have selected "shred free space" by mistake.
The reported size of the drive has not changed, only the available size of the free space which was zero.(I have created additional free space in order that I can use the computer to contact you but I would still like to recover the original free space if possible.
Thank you for responding to my original query.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
I'm not too familiar with this program, so I just checked out their webpage. It seems to be like most data deletion software, in that it uses an algorithm to overwrite data so that it's not recoverable. When it claims to shred free space, it's actually just overwriting any left over data in this free space. It can't actually remove free space, unless there was an error. In which case, I think you'd need to contact their support department.

Jimbo01

Jimbo01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Admin,
Thank you. I will report problem to vendor of software.