Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I NEED A WINDOWS XP--PRO!

• Please log in to reply

SIZZLIN1

SIZZLIN1

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
;) :tazz: ;)

I an unable to access any operating mode, including SAFE MODE as ALL actions return the following error message:

ERROR MESSAGE:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I have followed the -------WIN FIX XP------- steps as described down to the following message:
Next, Windows Setup will find existing Windows XP installations. You will be asked to repair an existing XP installation, or install a fresh copy of Windows XP.

If no installations are found, then you will not be given the option to repair. This may happen if the data or partition on your drive is too corrupted.

Note: If you install a fresh copy, all data on that partition will be lost!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I WANT TO BE SURE WHAT TO DO FROM HERE, BECAUSE MY OPTIONS APPEAR TO BE A LITTLE DIFFERENT THAT THE ONE'S IN THE INSTRUCTIONS.
I have NOT been given an option to "repair." The EXACT MESSAGE/OPTIONS ARE AS FOLLOWS:

Windows XP Professional Set-up
-------------------------------------

The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer.

Use the UP and Down keys to select an item in the list.
To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER.
To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C.
To delete the selected partition, press D.

76341 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]

C: Partition1 [NTFS] 76332 MB (67697 MB free)
Unpartitioned space 8 MB

ENTER: INSTALL D=Delete Partition F3=Quit

I'M PRETY SURE I should NOT ENTER INSTALL; BUT I'm not sure what to do to prevent lose of current info.

WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE?

Once again...I am unable to access SAFE MODE, so I REALLY need to know how to progress (if possible) without erasing current hard drive data.

“DELL” won’t offer any advice without the purchase of a software contract.

“Best Buy” wants 60.00 to diagnose the problem, 60.00 to back-up the hard drive, and 80.00 to reinstall programs and backed-up data.

I have been out of work for two years. I don’t have the cash for repair; and really need the computer for my job search.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
before you proceed with that, do you have the choice in the previous step to use recovery console to repair?

SIZZLIN1

SIZZLIN1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
IT DOESN'T APPEAR THAT A REPAIR OPTION EXISTS. Sorry about caps! Does this mean there is no way I will be able to recover my saved information??

SIZZLIN1

SIZZLIN1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
:tazz: ;) ;) :)

CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS SITUATION???

bhmax16

bhmax16

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Do you have your Windows XP installation cd? I'm assuming you do if you were attempting the repair. Here is what you need to do...insert the cd into the computer and restart it. When right when the computer starts booting up again hit F2 a few times, this should get you to the BIOS. In the BIOS hit Alt + P to change the pages until you get to the page where you can change the boot order of your system. Change the order so your cd drive is above your hardrive. Then exit the BIOS. You should go to a black screen where it asks for you to press any key if you'd like to load from the cd, so hit any key in order to load from the cd (if this screen doesn't come up restart the computer and it should come up the next time). After you hit a key in order to load from the cd you will come to a blue screen where your computer will load a bunch of files from the cd. When it is finished it will give you 3 options, either to do a clean install of Windows XP, to perform a repair/go to the recovery console, or to exit. Hit R to go to the recovery console. It will be a black screen that looks much like a ms-dos setup. I'm not completely positive as to what command you will have to type in to load the file you need from the cd, so someone else will have to help you with that. But the instructions I gave you should definitely get you to the recovery console. Goodluck

SIZZLIN1

SIZZLIN1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
:tazz: ;) ;)

BHMAX16---YOU ARE THE BEST!!!

I AM UP AND RUNNING! You just saved me a bundle, where do I send you a check!?

The only problem now is that I have lost my sound system. all connections are good, so I guess I will go through the trouble-shooting process provide by Dell, or maybe Microsoft.

Really, thanks a million!!!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you check your soundcard drivers

bhmax16

bhmax16

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

:tazz:  ;)  ;)

BHMAX16---YOU ARE THE BEST!!!

I AM UP AND RUNNING! You just saved me a bundle, where do I send you a check!?

The only problem now is that I have lost my sound system. all connections are good, so I guess I will go through the trouble-shooting process provide by Dell, or maybe Microsoft.

Really, thanks a million!!!

View Post

Glad I was able to help! Hope you get the sound issue figured out. Is your volume control in your taskbar where it should be? Because when I was having problems with my sound it wasn't there and I had to reload the sndvol32.exe file from my windows cd. If it's not there let me know and either I or Keith will be able to tell you how to load it