Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to restore a lost partition

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
Hello,

It is a little complicated.... I have two physical disks, HD1 holds my systems (XP & Vista), and HHD2 was used for data. It had 3 partitions on it (I'm not sure as to the structure - which were physical and which logical). I've decided to install Ubuntu on the first partition on HD2, so I opened disk manager and unwittingly deleted it. Which caused my Windows (XP) to reboot, and when it booted the 1st and the 3rd partitions on HD2 became "Unallocated". I installed Ubuntu as planned, but it cannot load, giving me the error message (something like: cannot access partition).

I did set HD2 to be first in the boot sequence before installing and trying to load Ubuntu.
My question is, mainly, how I restore my lost partition (the 3rd on HD2).
Ubuntu not loading is another issue.

Would be grateful for any advice,
SOADA

Advertisements

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
Well, it's been resolved.
Based on a recommendation I found on GTG I used TestDisk - followed the pretty detailed instructions on their wiki page - to recover the partition : )
As for the Linux not booting issue - it may have also been resolved by this, gotta check. Will BU my data first.... worst case, I can always repartition HD2.

Thanks anyway,
SOADA