Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intermittent Boot Hang After POST

• Please log in to reply

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Intermittant issues are horrible. I have a laptop that will intermittantly not boot or just freeze. I ran every diagnostic and stress test I could find and they all passed. I am down to a main board because I can get it to boot by holding it just right. Too expensive to replace so its a paper weight.

Advertisements

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
This reminds me of one time at band camp when I was trouble shooting a lappy for a friend and had the same troubles. I did everything I could think of and still the darn thing could only boot into windows for about 3 seconds. All the sudden it would freeze up. Even after disabling every component possible the lappy just couldnt boot right. Eventually we used it in our mega bond fire before returning back the ranch house.

Good Times :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Did you look at the stress.txt file, after running Prime95 again?

Onboard video is usually too weak to run 3D games, for that you need a discrete graphics card.
Might want to test your memory with Memtest while you are waiting to see if using the onboard video will solve the problem.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Also, if possible, put a spare video card in the same slot to rule out the slot being bad.

l0stb0y760

l0stb0y760

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
lol o nice..yeeup intermittent issues are the worst especially for impatient ppl like me ;]

Edge- I already ran Memtest a couple days ago and memory checked out okay, no errors. Perhaps i should run it again? Not having any luck finding the stress.txt log, i even ran a search for it but couldnt find anything. Ya i know DOD's to blame on the crash i had recently, obviously from trying to run it with on board video but its ironic on what happened.

I was running DOD with on board video and my computer all of a sudden re-booted, upon rebooting it hung again. So that through me off cuz if it is my video card then the problem just appeared to happen again. Or was it just some type of coincidence from the crash..? Well ever since that happened i havent touched DOD and rebooted about 12 times and havent had a problem PLUS, I ran Prime95 twice already for 8 hours and now its testing clean ever since i took my video card out. so im not sure whats going on..but im already ordering a video card from new egg if anyone's curious:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814125251

Edited by l0stb0y760, 15 June 2009 - 03:17 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
That looks like a good graphics card.

Try inserting the old video card back in, and running Prime95 again. This will confirm the issue as being the video card.

l0stb0y760

l0stb0y760

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Roger that!

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Ok. I will be awaiting the results from the test!

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Prime95 ftw :)

l0stb0y760

l0stb0y760

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Prime95 ftw :)

HAW! :) well see, hopefully. Got my fingerz crossed. Gonna slap in my graphics card again and run Prime95, if it comes back with an error gotta be the graphics card like Edge suggested. Ill try as soon as i get home, ill post back probably round 11 pm PST. Either way i was gonna upgrade my graphics card anyway since im gonna be working with HD video now especially. Cant go wrong with a $20.00 Graphics card thats got a core clock of 650MHZ, 82 Stream Processors and 512MB of memory. Almost sounds too good to be true. Should have the new graphics card by tomorrow, il let you guys know how it runs.

Edited by l0stb0y760, 15 June 2009 - 06:28 PM.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Cant go wrong with a $20.00 Graphics card thats got a core clock of 650MHZ, 82 Stream Processors and 512MB of memory. Almost sounds too good to be true. Should have the new graphics card by tomorrow, il let you guys know how it runs.

That does sound too good to be true. What is the model and make of your motherboard?

l0stb0y760

l0stb0y760

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Mobo- ASUSTek P5k-VM.

Edited by l0stb0y760, 15 June 2009 - 06:40 PM.

l0stb0y760

l0stb0y760

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
To be exact, after taxes and my rebate, I will have paid a total of 22.88 for this graphics card :)

l0stb0y760

l0stb0y760

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Matter of fact heres my exact motherboard right here:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131187

discontinued ;\

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
That looks like a good mobo, but discontinued.
Eager to see the Prime95 results. :)