Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How large should my virtual memory be?

• Please log in to reply

heidisvenson

heidisvenson

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
This morning I got a low virtual memory popup twice, so I've been looking around these forums and on a few other topics, the original poster was reccommended to buy more RAM. I've found what RAM I would need, etc. but I'm leery of sinking more money into my older computer (this past winter a power surge, or something, took out my hard drive, sound card, and all but 2 or 3 of my various ports and plug ins...but that's neither here nor there).

I found a post about fiddling with the amount of space dedicated to virtual memory, but I don't know what would be an optimal setting, or if I'm maxed out and need to suck it up and spend some money.

Here's what the Advanced properties thingie says under virtual memory...

initial size 756

maximum size 1512

reccommended paging file size for all drives 754 MB
currently allocated 1438 MB

My system has 512Mb of RAM right now. Do I need more, sor can I fiddle with numbers and avoid opening my wallet?

Thanks for your help!

Advertisements

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Set it to system managed. Fiddling with the numbers will not make any significant impact.

Xp will perform fine w/ 512Mb as long as there aren't many applications running.

But idealy, the machine should have at least 1Gb.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
It is recommended to be at least 1.5 times the amount of physical memory in the machine.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

It is recommended to be at least 1.5 times the amount of physical memory in the machine.

yep...but set the minimum and the maximum the same number...1512

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

yep...but set the minimum and the maximum the same number...1512

Yes, that too :)