Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New to PHP/MySQL

• Please log in to reply

hirow

hirow

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hello, I need help creating a PHP database, user CP and an admin CP. I've taken a look at tutorials but what I'm trying to do is pretty complicated so I was hoping you guys could lead me to the right direction, whether it be a specific program, tutorial or some general advice.

I want to make a control panels users can log in to, and set certain options from a dropdown. Say there are 3 users in the database, user A, B, and C. They will each be able to choose option 1, 2, or 3 in their corresponding control panels. Option 1 will add 10 to their "points", which is recorded in the database. Option 2 will add 20, and 3 will add 30. I want to be able to have an "update" function on an admin CP, which will update the database according to which option each user chose. If user A picks option 1, user B picks 2, and C picks 3, their variables in the database will update to 10, 20 and 30 accordingly.

Where should I start reading if I wanted to do something like this? I know it's possible because a friend of mine used to have a PHP script like this, but I've lost touch with him. I'm also thinking of getting NuSphere PhpED if it will help.

Edited by hirow, 11 June 2009 - 02:39 AM.

Advertisements

koryo

koryo

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
What your trying to do may seem rather complicated, but it can be done if you take it step by step.

First i would suggest you read up on php and mysql on www.w3schools.com from the left menu. this will greatly help your understanding of php and mysql, and the differences between the two. You will probably benafit from a basic understanding of XHTML & CSS as well for the interface design.

basically php & mysql are the backend data management systems, and XHTML and CSS are the front end graphical interface systems.

Hope this is enough to get you started.

Regards

Koryo