Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 quick questions

• Please log in to reply

Mastatsan

Mastatsan

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Since no one has replied to my other topic in quite some time, I'll move my questions over here.

1. The question I asked before. How do I temporarily disable the firewall on a linksys router.

2. Is there a way to keep from going into the router settings and clicking "connect" every time the power goes out for a few seconds?

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

1. The question I asked before.  How do I temporarily disable the firewall on a linksys router.

You can not disable the firewall, however you can place your computer into 'DMZ' -- this forwards all ports to that computer (same thing as disabling the firewall). Go here, select your Linksys router from the list provided, and choose 'Setting up a DMZ for the Linksys XXXXX'. Follow the instructions.
Note: I would highly recommend that you simply forward the necessary ports to your computer, rather than going into DMZ; and if it is absolutely necessary for you to enter DMZ, then you should only remain in DMZ for as long as necessary (Unless you have a Software-based firewall installed on your computer).

2. Is there a way to keep from going into the router settings and clicking "connect" every time the power goes out for a few seconds?

Why does the power go out?

Edited by Dan G, 11 May 2005 - 03:56 AM.

Mastatsan

Mastatsan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
1. Thanks, I'll try that sometime.

2. Sometimes it just does.. Storms and such. in our neighborhood the powerlines are still above ground.. totally retro!

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Sometimes a Linksys router will go into 'Standby' when it detects that all connected computers are turned off -- when the power goes out, is your router's standby light on? If it is, then simply press the button located on the side of your router (my button is a blue button, but depending on your model, it may vary), and this will re-enable your router.