Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP installation hangs when searching for previous microsoft wi

• Please log in to reply

shs28

shs28

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Dear All
I have a Fuijitsu siemens dual boot laptop with windows xp and suse linux 11.1. Recently my windows became unusable due to some error in../system32/system (file corruption???). I tried to recovery with my Recovery CD but no gain (choosing 1 option halts the installation), then I tried to do a fresh installation of windows XP and every thing went fine until it reached the point of Seraching for previous microsoft Windows.... At this point the installation halts without any progress. I'm happy to do a fresh installation as my XP system is on a separate partition so formatting it is not an issue. I can still use my SUSE Linux 11.1 but cann't access my ntfs partitions from Linux due to this problem. In short my problem is how to move forward from Seraching for previous microsoft Windows... and do XP installation. I would be grateful for any help/comments.
Thanks in advance,
shs28

Advertisements

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Hello. Welcome to Geeks to Go!

Have you tried to run CHKDSK in safe mode? If you need help doing this, please reply back!

shs28

shs28

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi
Thanks for replying. No have did not run chkdsk in safe mode. Can you please tell me how can I do that? First how can I start safe mode of xp?
Thanks,
shs28

shs28

shs28

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi
I have run my system in safe mode, but I could not run chkdsk command as it doesn't allow me to do so. When by tapping F8 command I enter Advance Windows option screen I first selected Safe Mode with Command line option and then in next screen Windows XP Professional and then it takes me to next balck screen where after few seconds following texts appears

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(o)partition(1)\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntoskrn.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(o)partition(1)\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\hal.dll
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(o)partition(1)\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\KDCOM.DLL
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(o)partition(1)\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\BootVID.dll
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(o)partition(1)\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\system
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(o)partition(1)\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\system.alt

and then the message with the line
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
is corrupt and I need to repair it with selecting r option in recovery etc.
At this screen Now if I try to write any thing system restarts itself without giving me any chance to run chkdsk command.

I did the run just Safe Mode option as well (instead of Safe Mode Command Line one) and same thing happened.

I also tried to run the system in safe mode with last working configuration but it also gave the same messages as given above.
I tried to recover the system with my recovery disk but after choosing 1 in a screen where it tells you about your installation C:\WINDOWS etc system freezes and does not do any thing.

Another thing that I'm thinking of is to format my WINDOWS XP system partition from my Linux as NTFS and then try to reinstall XP. But I'm not sure whether it will freeze again or not.
I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.
Thanks,
shs28

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Restart your computer and on the first screen that appears, usually a manufacturers logo, press F8 repeatedly. A black screen will appear that says things like:

Safe mode
Safe mode with command prompt << Choose this
Safe mode with networking

Key down to Safe mode with networking.

Allow safe mode to load.

When the command prompt window appears, type in chkdsk c: /r and hit enter. Be sure to place a space in between c: and /r.

Let me know if it works.

shs28

shs28

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi
I tried it but it does not let me enter any command. After choosing safe mode with command line (or just safe mode or safe mode with networking), on next windows this message appears
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(o)partition(1)\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntoskrn.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(o)partition(1)\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\hal.dll
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(o)partition(1)\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\KDCOM.DLL
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(o)partition(1)\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\BootVID.dll
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(o)partition(1)\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\system
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(o)partition(1)\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\system.alt

Now it remain as it is and as soon as I press any key it restarts the computer.
Cheers,
shs28

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Have you tried to recover your data using SUSE?

You can access your data and back it up through that. I would suggest saving the backup data to your SUSE home folder, or documents. Simply copy and paste.

It may be hard to do the backup steps in the following article.

In the following article, it asks you to reformat and reinstall Windows.
http://www.geekstogo...ws-t173729.html

I am sorry you have to reinstall Windows again, but you have over two bootable disk errors, which signify severe corruption on the partition itself, not Microsoft Windows. In the event this happens, it is best to just delete or format the partition that Windows sits on, then create a new simple volume to let a fresh install of Windows to lie on.

shs28

shs28

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi
I was able to format the partition with SUSE Linux in EXT3 and then with XP cd in NTFS (previouly it was searching for previous windows forever). While installing XP, it copies some files on the partition and then says that system is rebooting in few seconds and system reboots with following message

Invalid Partition Table..

Any suggestion to fix this problem and actually install the XP.
Thanks in advance,
shs28

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Edit partition from the XP setup, not SUSE

shs28

shs28

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I did with Windows XP as NTFS.

Advertisements

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
You deleted the XP partition(s), right?

Then created a new one, right?

Just trying to get all the info! :)

shs28

shs28

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
You deleted the XP partition(s), right? YES
Then created a new one, right? YES
and then try to install the XP which copies some files on the partition and then says that system is rebooting in few seconds and system reboots with following message

Invalid Partition Table..

Any suggestion to fix this problem and actually install the XP.
Thanks in advance,
shs28

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Delete all partitions. XP will need to recreate partitions.

Also, do you know what type of hard drive you have? If you think it is Seagate, then we will go from there. Most modern hard-drives are built on Seagate technology.

We will need to do hard drive diagnostics, if the next trial of the install fails.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Your registry is corrupted. See the link for the fix.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

shs28

shs28

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi
Thanks to both of you for replying.
First Reply by DragonMaster Jay

I have deleted and recreated my SYSTEM partions. Just want to let you know that I have three NTFS partitions, (1)System, (2)Multimedia (3)Research, my Multimedia and Research partitions have important data and I do not want to loose them. But as I have said that I had XP on my first partition i.e., SYSTEM which NOW I have deleted and recreated. When I start XP installation it goes fine until it reboots and says

Invalid partition table

Is it possible that I fix my system without touching data on Multimedia and Research partitions?
Now second thing that I'm not sure about the hard disk manufacturer, it could or could not be segeate.
Any help would be appreciated.
For diabillic
I'm looking into this article. I will get back to you soon. I would appreciate your help as well.