Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP installation hangs when searching for previous microsoft wi

• Please log in to reply

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Not to throw too many fixes, but try the following if you can boot in to XP recovery or MS-DOS

http://www.datarecov...ition_table.htm

Edited by DragonMaster Jay, 15 June 2009 - 03:06 PM.

Advertisements

shs28

shs28

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry, I could not get back earlier. I booted the system with xp recovery cd and then after a while it takes me where it ask for whether you want to install or recover or quit. I chose recover option which took me to windows recovery console and ask me which windows installation I want to use
1: C:\WINDOWS?
I chose 1 and press enter which then get me to command prompt where I entered fdisk command which it says that it could not found.
C:\WINDOWS>fdisk
command could not be found ....
then I tried to find it by entering "help" on command prompt and it showed a list of available commands which does not include fdisk.
Is it the right way to approach?
How can I find fdisk and use it?
Thanks,