Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First build problems

• Please log in to reply

kmad61

kmad61

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Okay my build is all together and I fired it up only to be hanging on the (Verifying dmi pool data screen).I went in and set my cd/dvd to boot first and I have also swapped out my dvd drive and taken the battery out of the mb for reset.It is still hanging up but now I have a (boot from cd/dvd) below the verifying message.I really dont know what is going and I need some guidance to get this pc up and running.

Amd kuma 2.8
Gigabyte ga-ma78gm mb
4 gigs G=skill ram
WD 320 gig Hd
Samsung dvd burner
Gigabyte case
Fsp atx350 psu

Advertisements

l0stb0y760

l0stb0y760

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
My first thought on this is to make sure everything is seated properly. 2ndly, you might wanna check out the hardware compatibility if you haven't already.

kmad61

kmad61

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Yea I have done that already.I have been messing with this for 2 days and after doing a few searches,I find this happening quite alot with the hangup at the verifying dmi screen.

l0stb0y760

l0stb0y760

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Okay well, it's gotta be a hardware problem since your not even making it to the GUI/install phase. Re-seat the processor already as well? I wanna say faulty motherboard off the top as far as hardware but start with the smaller stuff first. Any Ram lieing around you can swap out real quick or PSU?

Also check the Motherboard documentation and verify jumper settings. Perhaps something is off there. You can also try unplugging all your Modules and try booting with the bare minimum to see if that makes a difference. Such as boot with only the hard drive, maybe a stick of RAM and one optical drive and that's it.

l0stb0y760

l0stb0y760

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Also, if its getting stuck at the ''Verifying dmi pool data screen''. I believe this is during the POST. Are you hearing any error beeps? If so, perhaps you can look those up within your mother board documentation.

Edited by l0stb0y760, 11 June 2009 - 12:51 PM.

kmad61

kmad61

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
I pulled a stick of ram out and rebooted the dmi screen showed that and said update sucessful.I will check out the jumpers on the mb.

kmad61

kmad61

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
No error beeps at all and I reset the jumpers and rebooted,still hung at the same screen.

l0stb0y760

l0stb0y760

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
I ran a couple searches on this issue and its not looking too good. Ppl are saying they had to replace the Mobo as i was suspecting. Not sure if you already seen this but you might wanna look this post over--->

The Desktop Management Interface (DMI) is a new method of managing computers in an enterprise. The main component of DMI is the Management Information Format Database, or MIFD (the DMI Pool Data). This database contains all the information about the computing system and its components. At times, some systems may experience a hang condition after partitioning, formatting and initial boot-up of a hard drive. In Windows 95 and 98, changes to the motherboards BIOS settings, changes in hard drives or to hard drive settings alters this pool data. The message, "Verifying DMI Pool Data" appears and the system hangs. This condition may continue even after the physical drive has been removed from the system.

Solution
Method One:
- Apply power to the computer.
- Access the system BIOS.
- Set "Reset configuration data" to enable (most likely to be found in PCI/PnP section of BIOS)
- Save the BIOS changes and restart PC.

Method Two:
- Access the system BIOS.
- Set the drive type as None or Not Installed.
- Then Load the BIOS Defaults
- Then Load the SETUP Defaults
- Save the BIOS changes and reboot the PC to a System Boot Diskette.
- Shut down the PC after the memory count is displayed.
- Reconnect the power and interface cables to the hard drive.
- Access the System BIOS.
- Auto-Detect the hard drive. Ensure that the LBA Mode option is enabled.
- Save the BIOS changes and restart the PC with a System Diskette.
- Partition and format the hard drive via the operating system.
- Restart the system. On boot, the screen should read:
Verifying DMI Pool Data
Update Successful
- The system should continue booting normally.

Method Three:
- Access the System BIOS.
- Disable both the Internal and External CPU Cache. These features are located in either the "BIOS Features" or "Advanced Settings" menu.
- Save the BIOS changes and restart the PC to a System Boot Diskette. On startup, the screen should read:
Verifying DMI Pool Data
Update Successful
- After the system successfully boots, re-start the PC and access the system BIOS.
- Enable the Internal and External CPU Cache.
- Save the BIOS changes and restart the PC to a System Boot Diskette. On startup, the screen should read:
Verifying DMI Pool Data
Update Successful

NOTE: If the above mentioned methods fail to resolve the issue, contact the system or motherboard manufacturer to either clear the CMOS or update the BIOS for your motherboard. This will entail either:

- Removing the "Clear CMOS" Jumper and resetting the system BIOS or:
- Obtaining and applying a Flash BIOS Upgrade for your motherboard.

I have had the same problems in the past with a Soyo motherboard. This info might help. In the end I had to get a new motherboard. Good Luck 2 ya!! >=]~

kmad61

kmad61

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
I have tried method 1 with no changes,I have also reset the bios and jumpers on the mb.From what I have read a bios flash is an option but I dont know anything about it.

l0stb0y760

l0stb0y760

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Well, Flashing the Bios can be tricky and you can also toast the Mobo as well if its unsuccessful. Perhaps you can boot into your Bios and look around in there for a ''Flash Bios'' and see what options it gives you. It's usually under a tools or utilities menu. I have successfully flashed the Bios a couple times but this was through XP's graphical interface and since you cannot even get into windows im thinking you will have to attempt to flash the Bios from a disk or something.

I dont know much about that and unless someone else can shine some light on flashing the bios without getting to a GUI I'd recommend just looking up your Mobo manufacturing site or even refer to your mobo documentation book. Should be a guide to flashing the BIOS. As a last resort why dont you just see if you can get the Mobo swapped or is it out of warranty?

l0stb0y760

l0stb0y760

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Should be able to get your BIOS updates here btw--->

http://www.gigabyte..../BIOS_List.aspx

Just enter in the Series and Model Name.