Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unable to get computer up to even run any malware tools

• Please log in to reply

JLyon

JLyon

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, I posted the following message a few days ago in another forum & they sent me over hereto you.

1st post
HELP! I don't know if I got a virus or did something else to my computer. My desktop will not work at all & I'm writing this on my laptop.
Tried to load a newly bought game on computer & it wouldn't load. Loaded on laptop, so thought maybe I needed updates on desktop-kids use it & hasn't updated in awhile. Tried to do the auto updates & halfway through installying, it would freeze up. I would quit & try again -over & over,same thing. BTW it was freezing during 'service pack 3' installation, I have service pack 2.
Then I made the dumb mistake of thinking I needed to turn off firewall in case it was stopping updates (we have dsl).Turned firewall off for apx 5min before deciding it was a bad idea & turning back on. Tried to do the updates again with same problem.
At some point after this I did get one of those screens to "send error report" & I clicked on it!! Computer froze up & I had to turn it off then back on. I then received this error message -

DLL C:\WINDOWS\system 32\SASRV.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this aginst your installation diskette

When I clicked on the x to close, the screen goes black. I've tried turning off & on but it does the same. I tried the F8 togo back, but it still does the same thing. Don't know anything about starting in safe mode.

Do I have that sasser virus or is there something else wrong? I cant even get the computer running to do any scans or anything else - HELP!!??

(they told me to run the malware removal), this is my 2nd post:
After this happened, I did some internet research from my laptop & my problem sounded like what they described for the sasser virus, but I also found info that said trying to install 'service pack 3" on a computer with 'service pack 2' can also cause a lot of problems. So I don't know what is wrong or where to even start, I've NEVER had a problem like this on my computers!
Also, I can't do ANYTHING on this computer! When I turn it on, it brings up this error message & when I close it the screen is totally blank. I can't access the computer to do anything to fix it or test it.

Now, I did forget to mention that I read some of the posts about clicking the F8 key & starting up in safe mode(which I know nothing about) or going back to when the computer was working. I did try both things a few times, but each time it does the same thing - I get this errore message

DLL C:\WINDOWS\system 32\SASRV.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this aginst your installation diskette

and then the screen goes black. I can't get it to do ANYTHING!

Sorry this is so long. I would really appreciate it if anyone can tell me if this is a virus or some other problem & if there is a way to get this thing going so I can DO something to fix it, or if I'm going to have to wipe everything out & start over again(as a friend said I would have to do)

Thank you,
Judy (PS- I'm not good with tech talk at all, so you'll have to pretend I'm computer
illiterate!)

Advertisements