Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Repairing missing Boot.ini file

• Please log in to reply

sarahs

sarahs

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi. Ive recently had a new hard drive in my computer and a friend of mine replaced it for me and re-installed my windows etc.. but now on start up it takes longer to load and has a black screen with 'missing boot.ini' on it 'Loading from C:/windows'. I googled about fixing it and found out i needed an xp disc so i borrowed one from a friend (a copied one not an original) and the instructions seem fairly straight forward, BUT i cant boot from the disc when i put it in and restart my pc. Is there any way i can make the disc boot? or is there any other way of repairing the boot.ini without a disc? Thanx in advance

Advertisements

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
At the first screen, when boot up, you may see a manufacturer logo, immediately press F12.

Then key down to CDROM / CD / DVD drive and hit enter.

As long as the CD is in, the boot will start. (Press any key to boot from CD)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First of all using a COPIED OS disk is just asking for trouble. There is no guarantee anything will work correctly as you are seeing with not being able to boot to it.
As far as booting to it did you change the boot sequence in the bios to make sure the cdrom\dvd drive is the first boot device?
If not then that could be your problem.
I would suggest borrowing a original XP disk from someone. make sure it is the same kind as what you have (Home, Pro, Media) and that way we will know that the issues are not related to the burned copy.

sarahs

sarahs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
As far as booting to it did you change the boot sequence in the bios to make sure the cdrom\dvd drive is the first boot device?

im not sure what this means haha

The f12 didnt work and it still wont boot. I shall try and get hold of an original disk and get back to this.. thanx for your help

Edited by sarahs, 11 June 2009 - 03:09 PM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

im not sure what this means haha

The f12 didnt work and it still wont boot. I shall try and get hold of an original disk and get back to this.. thanx for your help

What kind of machine is it? The key to access the boot menu and BIOS vary on who makes the PC.

sarahs

sarahs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I have no idea, theres nothing written on it , its just a blank case

does this tell u anything?

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

Edited by sarahs, 11 June 2009 - 03:32 PM.

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
As long as the drive contains NTLDR & NTDETECT you should be able to bypass the error message.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Hopefully you have already put the XP cd in the drive before all this. If everything is setup correctly you will get a black screen with the following message in the upper left corner:
"Push Any Key To Boot To Cd". When you see this then push any key and the cd will take over.
Follow the prompts or if you need assistance I will help.

sarahs

sarahs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I can now boot from the disk, thank you very much! I should be able to do the rest myself now, ill let you know how i go on, thank you

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome and please let us know how it goes. If you need more assistance don't hesitate to ask.