Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Moved house, New IP address

• Please log in to reply

Tomddl

Tomddl

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I wasnt sure where to put this question, hope its ok here

I have recently moved house and moved my net conection with me.

I was wondering if this means that i will have a new ip address (that websites see) or will it be the same as my last one?

I've not moved far from my old house, not sure if that makes a difference.

cheeeeeeeers

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Yes, the EXTERNAL ip will be different but your INTERNAL ip will be the same as long as you use the same equipment and dont change any settings :)

For example:

Internal IP (192.168.1.100) <- will not change
External IP (goto www.whatismyip.com) <- will change, assigned by your ISP

quick edit: forgot to mention, your external IP is the address the outside world (websites) will see.

Edited by Cilix, 11 June 2009 - 03:22 PM.

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
How's it going Tomddl?

There are actually TWO types of IP addresses. I'll try to explain the best I can.. :)

The STATIC Ip address is assigned to your computer by your internet service provider. This one is permanent. Not sure if the moving affected anything, but if you're close to the old home, and haven't switched ISP's, that Ip address should be the same.

The DYNAMIC Ip address is not permanent. Even if you don't move at all - that one will change. Varies to when it changes - could be tomorrow, could be a month - possibly a year. Basically, there aren't enough Ip adresses to go around :)
To get around that problem, ISP's temporarily assign an IP address to each computer from a pool of IP addresses.

Hope you understand my wording..
~Jason

Tomddl

Tomddl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
oh so do i have either a static OR a dynamic? like i cant have bot

is mine more likely to be a dynamic?

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
No.. everyone has both.

Tomddl

Tomddl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
so which is the one that websites "see"

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Pretty sure they can see both. Lol.

Tomddl

Tomddl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ok thanks for that!!

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Well, a website cannot see your internal address since they are not on your internal network. Therefore they are viewing your external address :)

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Can't some websites block your internal address though? How would they be able to without knowing what it is..?

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Block your internal address? I'm not sure what you mean by that. The last point of your LAN, the router, is the device acting as your DHCP server. Once packets reach it, it strips the internal IP of the packet and re-encapsulates it with the external address, which 99% of the time is using NAT. It then updates its routing table then sends out the packet to the CSU/DSU, which for a home user is their modem and then away it goes to its destination. The WAN destination never sees that internal IP since it is stripped out before it leaves the LAN.