After following all of your new user instructions, I am still experiencing a reduction in performance (overall speed) during desktop operations, Windows Explorer Operations and internet explorer operations. The reduction increases relative to the amount of time between PC restarts. Firefox seems to be immune to this but I use IE(optimized for Yahoo) for my Yahoo accounts. Programs seem to function normally as well. Also the cursors in all input windows blink rapidly(more like vibration than standard blinking). This seems to indicate that something unnecessary (or malicious) is running in the background but I can't find anything unusual in the Task Manager. Also, A firewall warning now appears in my system tray during startup just prior to Norton AutoProtect's appearance. Once Norton appears the warning dissappears and the firewall is indeed on. I also have a firewall in my router.
Changes I made to my computer prior to noticing these symptoms include:
1. Reducing the number of unnecessary windows options (text shadows, window fades, etc.)
2. An attempt to test my internet vulnerability-This particular website attempted to put a test file on my desktop but Norton antivirus stopped it and deleted the file. However, each return to the website prompted the same test without pressing the test button. I am fairly sure of all my current cookies because I deleted everything I didn't recognize or didn't need. Now I can't find the website to tell you what it was. My history was deleted by ATF.
SpybotSD reports nothing unusual as does MalwareBytes (reports attached). Windows Defender reports No unwanted or harmful software detected. No viruses are reported by NortonAV. Norton Systemworks reports no errors. While ATF-Cleaner and Old Timer ATF did not generate reports, I included one from CCleaner. A report from Windows XP Autoruns is included as well as one from Hijackthis. I encountered problems uploading the hijackthis logfile so I scanned it with Norton and Spybot. I ended up changing the name to New Text Document. I also had difficulty with the Autoruns log so I had to convert it to a text document. After viewing the Autoruns log from the Post download, I realized that important spacing had been deleted during upload. I tried to fix that but was unsuccessful. Each plus sign (+) indicates the start of a new line.
Normally I can fix these little problems but this time I'm stumped. Let me know when you get time to look at this.
Edited by Grondsrevenge, 11 June 2009 - 03:41 PM.