Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Performance Issues, Possible Malware

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
running two firewalls can cause issues. They may cause the exact issue you are having. I would suggest either disable the router firewall or the windows firewall.
You don't need both.
You can disable windows firewall and it will prompt you about turning it off. Just click the box that says I have my own firewall solution and it will not prompt you again.

Advertisements

Grondsrevenge

Grondsrevenge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Yikes! How do I answer that without sounding ungrateful. You obviously know what you are talking about with 3200 posts. But, after five years with the same computer hardware and OS, I am reluctant to comply. Ok, I bypassed the router and got the same error message so, I do need a different solution.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just to be sure click on the Norton Removal Tool in my signature. Click the version that corresponds with your Norton that was installed and run the program. This should make sure all Nortons remnants are now gone.
I would suggest disabling Windows Firewall and enabling Router Firewall. If that is not a viable answer for you then you can download Comodo Firewall here on GTG from the Free Software link in my signature below.
This hopefully should take care of your problem then. Please let me know what you decide to do or if you have any questions or concerns.
I will be away for awhile as it is almost 11 pm and I should get some sleep. I will check for your reply when i wake up tomorrow morning.

Edited by rshaffer61, 08 July 2009 - 09:58 AM.

Grondsrevenge

Grondsrevenge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Absolutely Perfect! I followed your instructions and the problem is gone. Not only that, but Comodo found (and removed) another malware. I am going to research all of your suggested software. Symantec/Norton would be out of business if this thread found its way to mainstream homepages. As far as I am concerned, this thread can close.

Thanks again!

Edited by Grondsrevenge, 11 June 2009 - 11:53 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just a FYI and because you have found two more that were not detected before:

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

Edited by rshaffer61, 12 June 2009 - 06:39 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Now as far as your original issues:

Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

If you are happy with the service I provided, please consider making a donation to GeeksToGo to support the Free Technical Support offered. Go HERE to make a donation.

Grondsrevenge

Grondsrevenge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
In the end everything worked out great. Unless you folks email me and say 'NO', I plan to reference your website in a book I am writing. You will be highly recommended and mentioned in several areas. When the book is finished, I would like to send a few relevent excerpts from the book and ask for a generic endorsement. I am sure you will be pleased by the things I have to say about your industry.

Thanks again!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please go to HERE and there are links and contacts to ask about your request. I would think it would fall under news and press and that link is there also. Again i want to congratulate you on your issue being resolved and everything working out for you.

Grondsrevenge

Grondsrevenge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
FYI, This problem occurred again, only this time it was worse. But, it was only a conflict between the firewall and a Yahoo toolbar this time. The toolbar lost and the problem is solved again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

FYI, This problem occurred again, only this time it was worse. But, it was only a conflict between the firewall and a Yahoo toolbar this time. The toolbar lost and the problem is solved again.

:) :) :)

Great job in fixing the issue.

Advertisements