Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot get wireless connection

• Please log in to reply

abear33

abear33

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I wiped my hard drive clean and reinstalled windows xp with all the SP's. I have reinstalled everything but cannot get a wireless connection. I can get on the internet through a wired connection.
I have a Dell Inspiron 5160 that uses a Linksys wireless G card. I have reinstalled the driver for this also. I can see my network but windows cannot find or assign an IP address.
I use a Cox modem for internet service with an Apple Time Warp router. I also have an Airport stationed in my house.
Can you please give me some advise on getting back up wireless.

Advertisements

abear33

abear33

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Sorry to have bothered you with the first message. I have now gotten connected to my wireless network. The problem now is that I cannot seem to get an internet connection.
Any help.

l0stb0y760

l0stb0y760

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
So im guessing you cant browse the internet? Did you try rebooting (easy way to renew your IP). Try power cycling your modem and Router (just turn them off for about 20 seconds and then power them back up). Hopefully you have NOT reset your Modem or Router which is usually done by sticking a pencil/paperclip in the pin hole located in the back of the device. If you have done this, your Modem or router will need to be reconfigured with the correct settings in which case, youl need to hop on your manufactures web site for documentation on this. If its a driver issue, you may wanna try getting the latest driver from the site for your wireless adapter.

~l0st

abear33

abear33

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
No I didn't reset the router or modem. I was able to get connected to the network but now do not have internet access.
I conducted a system scan and it is saying that my Network Adapter Failed. When I expand on the item that shows failed it says "DNS SERVER SEARCH Order" (Failed). Not sure what this means. It has the IP Address and everything, just that one item failed.

l0stb0y760

l0stb0y760

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hmm..Not sure. I'll post back if i find anything but in the mean time you may want to verify that your wireless adapter is picking up your DNS server's automatically. Click on Start>Control Panel>Network Connections>Right Click your Wireless Connection>Go to Properties>Highlight Internet Protocol TCP/IP> go to Properties and make sure down below ''obtain a DNS sever Address Automatically'' is bubbled in. These are standard settings, now it is possible that your ISP may have some other settings you need to input there but not usually, so try that.

Also have you tried uninstalling and re-installing the latest drivers for your adapter, im getting a feeling something got screwed up there. Additionally, you may want to check the encryption type your wireless adapter is using, WPA2? WPA? WEP? Although WPA2 is most secure, you may want to try a different one to see if that will get you connected. Possibly your WAP (Wireless Access Point) is using WPA2 and your adapter is on WPA so, check into that.

~l0st

Edited by l0stb0y760, 11 June 2009 - 09:00 PM.

abear33

abear33

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Look no further. I checked the things you mentioned and low and behold I did not have the DNS server being aquired automatically. Thanks for the suggestions. I now have the internet.

l0stb0y760

l0stb0y760

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Alriight. Glad I could help a brotha out :) Peace out!

~l0st

Edited by l0stb0y760, 13 June 2009 - 01:08 PM.