Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstalled Windows XP- Stuck on blue screen

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a gateway Laptop (model-mx7120). I have Windows xp. A few days ago I had someone Crash & reboot/upgrade my laptop using their copy of windows xp professional & gateway drivers cd which i have. Today when I turned my laptop on it said error missing or corrupted file <windows root>\system32\hal.dll. reinstall. So after a few trys I successfully reinstalled the copy of windows xp professional or so I thought. It got all the way to the windows xp loading page and froze during 'please wait. . ." so
I shut my laptop off by holding the power button and restarted it again. this time it gives me the option to choose one of the copy's of windows xp professional I had so I choose one and it led me to the main screen that I would normally click on my icon and enter my password only theres nothing there so im stck at this page. after a few moments A windows explorer message "explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close" comes up & asks if I wanat to send the report I click send the report details(if it helps any)are:
C:\docume~1\Admini~1.xpw\locals~1\temp\wer20e0.dri00\ explorer.exe.mdmp
&
" " \appcomat.txt
and it just leaves me at the blue blank screen with no opton do anything, that im aware of and leave me no choice but to shut it off and do it all over again. Any ideas?? Any help would be grateful- Thanks!

Advertisements

Grondsrevenge

Grondsrevenge

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
That sounds terrible. I recommend seeing the post:

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Good Luck!

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Actually, see this post instead, which will probably fix it: Hal.dll is Missing or Corrupt Error

If it will not fix, then post back here and we can do more options. Wait to do Post #2 until I have cleared for you to try it. I do not want to jump to repair install, if we can fix it.

Edited by DragonMaster Jay, 11 June 2009 - 08:53 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

it gives me the option to choose one of the copy's of windows xp professional

It looks like you have two parallel Windows installations, and maybe, you're booting to the corrupted one.
Why don't you start over with clean install, including removing partition(s), formatting, etc.?
http://www.michaelst...nxpinstall.html

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I've tried repairing and that's not working. as for deleting partitions and doing a clean install, I've thought about that only I have only 1 partition and I'm guessing that's where I installed both windows (as i have both windows listed there). But i don't have any original cds that came with my laptop. only the windows xp professional CD and a gateway drivers CD that were burned onto blank disks. I'm not sure what else i need? or where to get it. I don't care about any personal stuff like pic, music etc. I just want all my original programs that I'm supposed to have or at least have my laptop turn on & working full function and properly you know? so do u know if I need anything other than Windows xp professional & the drivers for my laptop?

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
All you need to do is to read the link, I gave you.