Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP will not boot cd tray will not open

• Please log in to reply

Ole37

Ole37

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hi

I was in the process on installing software on an XP operating system (new installation). I Was just about done when I started getting the blue screen restarts. Went to a safe mode restore point where I knew the system was working. I still got the blue screen restart. I then put the XP installation disk back in for a repair but wasn't smart enough to leave the administrator request blank. I took the disk out and went to try a safe start again. And now the problem:

The system will not boot. I can't get the CD tray to open. My power light is on as is the hard drive activity light. The drive is a SATA. What options do I have?

Ole37

Advertisements

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Attempt to boot the computer, and press F12 repeatedly at the first screen of power on. When the "One time boot options menu" shows, key down to CDROM drive.

In setup, be sure to wipe the hard drive by deleting the partition. Then add the new partition and enter setup.

Let me know if this works.

---

If it doesn't, then press the power button and listen for the fans, then immediately press Alt+F10 to attempt to enter XP recovery mode. If that does not work, then do the same, except press the combo: Ctrl+Alt+F8 to force the safe mode options to appear.

Edited by DragonMaster Jay, 11 June 2009 - 08:48 PM.

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Tried all three alternatives with no response on any.

OLe37

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Unplug all external hardware except for the keyboard, then try to boot.

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Removed all except keyboard but still no boot screen.

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
This is an update of ongoing problem.

I searched the internet and found some sources suggesting that I check the RAM memory sticks by removing them one at a time. I did so this morning after trying to boot without success. After removing one stick the system booted. Thinking I solved the problem I started to load software and then started to get the blue screen messages (ex. "dump of physical memory due to unexpected system operation exited or terminated" and/or "fatal system error". I used safe start one too many times and the computer refused to boot. After several unsuccessful tries, I lifted the remaining memory stick and replaced it in the same slot. On the next try the system did boot.

My question now is whether this tells anyone something or is it strictly a coincidence. And now that the system is ("maybe temporarily") boot able, should I do a Windows repair.

TIA

Ole37

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Try it.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
If your getting blue screens installing Windows, its probably a hardware issue.

Try running Memtest86+ and Drive Fitness Test to verify your RAM and hard drive are functioning properly.

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
diabillic

I'm trying to get my new system to where the one I'm replacing is. Using XP in both cases. All the software I'm installing is currently running OK on the old system. One exception, I installed explorer "8" this time whereas I was running "7" on the old system. Anyway, the blue screens come in with software installations, downloads, or out of the blue. I didn't get any with the Windows installation per say.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Download Whocrashed and post up your results. http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

Advertisements

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
System froze while I was downloading the Windows debugger. But here are the results:

On Fri 6/12/2009 11:02:54 PM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: csrss.exe
Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0x84677B90, 0x84677D04, 0x805C8C88)
Error: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
file path: I:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Client Server Runtime Process
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Likely the culprit is another driver on your system which cannot be identified.

On Fri 6/12/2009 6:54:44 PM your computer crashed
Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0x8482BD38, 0x8482BEAC, 0x805C8C88)
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Likely the culprit is another driver on your system which cannot be identified.

On Fri 6/12/2009 6:32:55 PM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: tfsysmon.sys
Bugcheck code: 0x10000050 (0xE1ED0000, 0x1, 0x8054BAEE, 0x6)
Error: Unknown
file path: I:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\tfsysmon.sys
product: ThreatFire
company: PC Tools
description: ThreatFire System Monitor

On Fri 6/12/2009 4:13:56 PM your computer crashed
Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0x89BAADA0, 0x89BAAF14, 0x805C8C88)

On Fri 6/12/2009 1:15:13 AM your computer crashed
Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0x89858A08, 0x89858B7C, 0x805C8C88)

On Fri 6/12/2009 12:57:42 AM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe
Bugcheck code: 0xFFFFFFFFC000021A (0xE279F460, 0xC0000005, 0x7E721CE0, 0x6AF184)
Error: STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED
file path: I:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System

On Fri 6/12/2009 12:55:15 AM your computer crashed
Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0x89C5A020, 0x89C5A194, 0x805C8C88)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is really responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Hmm, it looks like you've either got multiple critical system processes failing or something that we really cant ID causing it. I would recommend these steps in order, try the ladder if the first fails to fix it.

1. sfc /scannow from a command line.
2. Repair install of XP
3. Clean install of XP

Were these crashes during the machine's sleep mode? Also, if you can look through your event viewer under System and post any errors (red x's) you see at the same time it crashed would also be helpful.

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
If you are meaning the "device Manager" I show no red x's. If that's not the event viewer, I don't know how to get there.

Couldn't get sfc /scannow to run (blue screen again)

I did the repair and was greeted with a blue screen fatal error on restart. I rebooted and during the opening of start up item i got the blue stop error screen.

So I guess it's off to a clean reinstall. If you have any suggestions as to how to proceed (method)in getting all my software installed and not get into this blue screen rat race it would be appreciated. I might add that the condition got worse as I tried to continue adding software.

I'll be gone for a couple of weeks so you won't hear from this corner for a while.

Should I make further comments to this thread?

Thanks for your help in any case.

Ole37

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in XP. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue.

Go to
Start and then click on Run
Type in eventvwr.msc and press Enter
On left side click on Applications On right side look for any RED X about the time of a incident
On left side click on System. On right side look for any Red X about the same time of a incident
Also look for any yellow exclamation mark at the same time in either of the above
If you find any double click on one at a time and take a screenshot.
To take a screenshot click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start
All Programs
Accessories
Paint
In the empty white area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Include as a attachment in your next reply

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hi rshaffer61

Thanks for the road map to Event viewer. I was able to access the viewer but only in the safe mode. There were both red X's and yellow !'s. When I double clicked the first one I got a message that the file was corrupt. When going to other X's & !'s, the screen on the right was blank. There also was a red X on the "system" file at the left side of the screen. Can't give you a screen shot. I'm writing this on an other computer as I can't get out of the blue screens persistent on the problem one.

Ole37