Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP will not boot cd tray will not open

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just need the first couple of ones. Since no screenshot can be given then we have to do this old fashion way.
Please copy the errors down and reply with them with full messages.
It takes longer but results will help us to find the fix for you. We need to know for sure what file it says is corrupt. Thanks for your update.

Advertisements

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
rshaffer61

I was able to get around the problem by saving the files to a removable disk and uploading to my working computer. These are some but not all of the errors. Hope its a starting point and is the type of info you need.

Ole37

Attached Thumbnails

• Scrn2.JPG
  • Scrn3.JPG
  • Scrn4.JPG
  • Scrn5.JPG
  • Scrn6.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm beginning to think we either have a hardware issue or a really nasty infection on this system.

Please follow the next steps and let us know the result when finished.

Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Not the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y

If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
My computer keeps telling me it cannot find chkdsk/r

Ole37

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
OK Got it to run with the command prompt.

Ole37

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Chkdsk/r finished running and the system restarted. Before it could complete loading the start up items I got a blue screen "Fatal System Error".

Ole37

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is that all it said?
O'm wondering something though that maybe you can clarify for me. You said this in post 9

I'm trying to get my new system to where the one I'm replacing is. Using XP in both cases. All the software I'm installing is currently running OK on the old system.

Are these systems name brands and are they exactly the same?

OK I think we need to try and do some serious repair work.
let's start with a SFC /SCANNOW

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Edited by rshaffer61, 14 June 2009 - 02:40 AM.

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
rshaffer61

In answer to your first question:

No they are not even remotely the same. My "old" system (computer one) is about 6 yrs old. Originally came with Windows ME. I replaced and added to just about all except the mother board. Got it from Tiger Direct and it is running well. Also purchased my new system (computer two) from Tiger Direct intending to give computer one to my wife. Computer two is assembled by CYBERTRON. The drive on computer two is SATA whereas computer one is an IDE.

Number two:

I think the blue screen also gave addresses of the problem and that it also dumped the memory. Sorry, I should have written the info down. Let me say that the initial start after chkdsk/r resulted in a light blue screen saying chkdsk had been run then it went into the start up that ended with the subject blue screen.

And now I am trying to proceed with the rest of your plan but I'm back to the problem that it will not boot. I don't think it's going past POST. Fans are running and the hard drive indicator light stays on. I hear no beeps on start up. This is the forth time this has happened. All I know to do is to keep trying to restart.

Ole37

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is the BSOD giving you any other information or is it just flying by?
If BSOD is not showing anything because it is flying by then we may need to make it stop so you can get the information. Hopefully the SFC scan will fix some problems for you..
I was more asking if you are installing one copy of OS on two systems in my previous question?

I will await your results and thank you for the update.

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
When I started this project, I thought I could do a drive to drive copy and be done with it but alas I found after the fact that it could not be done. So it is the same.

I now have the auto restart to off but I haven't kept a record of the messages.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you been able to complete the sfc /scannow yet?

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I haven't described what is happening now correctly.

What I said:

"And now I am trying to proceed with the rest of your plan but I'm back to the problem that it will not boot. I don't think it's going past POST. Fans are running and the hard drive indicator light stays on. I hear no beeps on start up. This is the forth time this has happened. All I know to do is to keep trying to restart."

What I should have said:

I can't get the BIOS screen now. Fans are running and the hard drive indicator light stays on. I hear no beeps on start up. This is the forth time this has happened. All I know to do is to keep trying to restart.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm sorry I misunderstood. Being that you are having to do this so many times to get it to boot then I would think there is a issue with either MOBO or HD. Since the system isn't even getting to the first post screen I am leaning toward MOBO.
Is there any way you have access to another system that you can slave your drive to and try to put the important data off for a backup?
Also I would be interested in seeing if you get post screens with no HD connected. You could just disconnect power to your HD and try booting up. This will give us the same result without taking drive out.

Edited by rshaffer61, 14 June 2009 - 01:09 PM.

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
My problem, I didn't give you a clear picture of what's happening.

I have no important data on the drive. Just in the process of loading software. But I do have another working system with a SATA drive.

I tried starting the system with the HD disconnected and same as before, no post screens.

Ole37

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK with nothing important on the drive yet then I suggest a reformat and reinstall. The problem is trying to get it to post. Have you tried a different monitor to rule out that as a possibility?
Try reseating video if it is a add on card.
Take out one stick of memory and try booting it to see if that will work. If not change the memory and try again.
This is definitely a Hardware problem as you are not even getting to the HD or OS before the problem happens. It is really leaning toward a MOBO or possibly even a video problem.