Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP will not boot cd tray will not open

• Please log in to reply

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
The Monitor works. Just used it with my other working PC.

No add on video card.

I'll the memory switch in a while. Need to get to other things now

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK thank you and I want to thank you for your patience in this issue. I know it can be stressful but I honestly believe we are close to resolving your problem. :) :)

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Status so far with memory sticks.

Original set up:
Stick 1 in Slot A and Stick 2 in Slot B
Result: NO BIOS screen

Variation 2
Stick 1 in Slot A and Slot B empty
Result: NO BIOS screen

Variation 3
Slot A empty and Stick 1 in Slot B
Result: Boot Up

I'm not jumping to any conclusion here because as I said earlier, this has happened before (sudden boot after no bios screen episodes). I know I tried variation 2 once and it gave me a boot and other times not.

There are three more variations I should try later.

It started with CHKDSK running. Went through 5 stages and restarted before I could read any results.
Restart had a screen saying CHKDSK shows Volume is Clean.

So far the system is still up.

Tried to run sfc /scannow with run and it asks me to insert professional service pack 3 CD which I do not have. Tried with the prompt in DOS and it wouldn't work. I see Service pack 3 listed in the Add/Remove page.

System wanted to install a NET update to service pack 1 and I got the following:

Application has generated an exception that could not be handled
Process 1d=0x60(3936), Thread id=0xf64(3940)

Debug:
Registered JIT debugger not available
Error code 0x2(2)

System still up which is a small record.

Ole37

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK try running sfc /scannow this way since you don't have a OS disk...

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Attachment is what I get to when I finally get to "set up". I don't see any reference to the DVD drive.

Attached Thumbnails

• Scrn7.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well this is going to be harder now. Since this isn't going to work this way then the only option you have is to borrow a XP disk of the same type you have on your system Home or Pro
Then we can do the sfc /scannow and possibly a repair installation.
I see with one memory stick in slot 2 you can get boot. We may need to use that configuration to get the scan and maybe the repair installation to work.

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Matrix:

A1:B2 ns ns s
A1:B0 ns s
A2:B0 s
A2:B1 s
A0:B1 s
A0:B2 s

Above are the variations in the position and memory sticks and whether the system booted (s) or did not boot (ns). A "0" means no stick in that position. A1:B2 is the original state where most of the work and problems occurred. I see a start (s) in all variations. I don't know if that tells us anything about the sticks or location other then an intermittent problem.

I have an XP upgrade disk. Would I have a shot with that?

Signing off for today.

Thanks for the perseverance!

Ole37

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is the variation I would suggest

A2:B1 s

You can try the Upgrade but not sure it will work.

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
rshaffer61

Will you walk me through this so I can try it with the upgrade?

"Well this is going to be harder now. Since this isn't going to work this way then the only option you have is to borrow a XP disk of the same type you have on your system Home or Pro
Then we can do the sfc /scannow and possibly a repair installation."

Ole37

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The steps are as followed:

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If this does not work the only option left is going to be to do a Repair Installation which will require a OS Disk and I
m not sure if the upgrade will allow this as the disk has to be a bootable disk

I would suggest you borrow a XP disk full version exactly like what you have installed. Home or Pro and then we can proceed to a Repair Installation if needed.

Advertisements

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
rshaffer61

I'd like to give me your opinion on these points.

1)Do you think my problems are a result of a hardware problem. I'm wondering if I have a connection problem in the mother board and the changing positions of the memory creates / breaks conductivity.
Even if it's not the specific problem, do you think my case is strong enough to send the PC back?

2)Since I don't have any unrecoverable files loaded yet, might the best direction be to do a clean reinstall. If the problems reoccur, then send the package back to Tiger Direct.

3)If I should work with the current installation: I came upon the link below on a way to get scannow in the system when "sourcepath" doesn't exist. Does this have merit? I'm having trouble coming up with another XP disk.

http://forums.techgu...th-missing.html

Ole37

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
#1: You may have a bad memory slot and with all the tests and scans we have run I believe you should at the least contact Tiger Direct and chat with them about the issue. I deal with them alot and they have always been very helpful and understanding of problems.

#2: I agree with the clean install as I suggested before but with the memory issue i'm not sure if the problem will be able to be corrected.

#3: The work around suggested with the link you provided has been suggested here on GTG before and does seem to fix the issue of no Sourcepath entry.

Before trying this work around I suggest the following:

ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.
The standard registry backup options that come with Windows back up most of the registry but not all of it. ERUNT however creates a complete backup set, including the Security hive and user related sections. ERUNT is easy to use and since it creates a full backup, There are no options or choices other than to select the location of the backup files. The backup set includes a small executable that will launch the registry restore if needed.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Perhaps the SourcePath issue has something to do with the Windows root being I: instead of C:

Memory card readers tend to create that problem.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Perhaps the SourcePath issue has something to do with the Windows root being I: instead of C:

Memory card readers tend to create that problem.

Great catch diabillic, I believe you could be right.
That may be a easy fix now. Ole37 please go back into registry after you have run the Erunt program and get back to the previous area. You will need to right click on the lines that show {b]I[/b] and then click on Modify
Change that I to a C.
Then close Regedit and reboot the system.

Make sure you run Erunt before attempting this

Edited by rshaffer61, 15 June 2009 - 10:04 AM.

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Ok I have the registry backed up and saved on and off the computer.

Question: Currently "C" is designated a removable disk whereas "I" is the root directory. Should I procede as directed?