Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP will not boot cd tray will not open

• Please log in to reply

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Power the PC off, unplug the media reader and reboot.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Removable disk?
Hmm now that is interesting. I have never seen a removable drive do what this is doing. This is fascinating to me. I am really interested in resolving this one.

Edited by rshaffer61, 15 June 2009 - 10:37 AM.

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Waiting for your reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do as Diabillic suggested in his last post. Make sure you boot at least once completely into windows without the reader connected. Let us know how it works then.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Removable disk?
Hmm now that is interesting. I have never seen a removable drive do what this is doing. This is fascinating to me. I am really interested in resolving this one.

This is what happens, ive seen it several times. The media drive usually has 4-5 mass storage disks total, Windows recognizes them as logical disks. Sometimes, the machine will boot and see them first before a HDD. So naturally, Windows assigns the lower letters to those 4-5 "virtual" disks first. Thats also why if you leave something like an ipod or a media card plugged in while booting the machine wont till until removed.

Only way to avoid this when installing Windows is to unplug it, install Windows, then plug it back in.

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Proceeded per Dibillic:

1st reboot:

During start up procedure (Windows desktop up on screen) I got a blue screen. "FATAL ERROR DETECTED" MEMORY DUMP PROCEEDED

2nd reboot:
First screen up was blue "PROBLEM DETECTED WINDOWS SHUTDOWN" Again dumped physical memory.

3rd reboot:
No boot. Back to black screen and no engagement with BIOS or HD/.

Have tried changing memory stick position with no luck. Will try it again with the memory reader back in.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would suggest that since you have reader disconnected it would be a good time to start that fresh install. By doing this you can find out if it is a MOBO problem or a software issue. To do this Go Here for step by step instructions on how to partition, format, and install XP fresh

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
That's what I will do if I can it to boot. DVD door won't open when it's acting like this.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
AS soon as you turn the system on click the open button on DVD drive.
Also make sure you have boot sequence changed in BIOS to make dvd first boot device. If you need instruction for this let me know.

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
"AS soon as you turn the system on click the open button on DVD drive.
Also make sure you have boot sequence changed in BIOS to make dvd first boot device. If you need instruction for this let me know."

DVD still will not open. When it's in this state, I get no BIOS screen up. Only fans are working and the power on lite to HD.

As to the effect of changes as noted in post 51, what would cause the effect I'm having?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It sounds like the MOBO to me. Has this done it since you received the system?
If so I would contact Tigerdirect and let them know.
Go HERE for all their contact numbers. Let them know everything we have tried and maybe even supply them a link to this topic so they can read it if needed. Please let us know what they decide to do, but I am sure they will take care of you.

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Here's a copy of my first post. Once the problem started it was there with fits and starts. Thanks for the info. That's where I'm going. Will post what is said.

Ole37

"I was in the process on installing software on an XP operating system (new installation). I Was just about done when I started getting the blue screen restarts. Went to a safe mode restore point where I knew the system was working. I still got the blue screen restart. I then put the XP installation disk back in for a repair but wasn't smart enough to leave the administrator request blank. I took the disk out and went to try a safe start again. And now the problem:

The system will not boot. I can't get the CD tray to open. My power light is on as is the hard drive activity light. The drive is a SATA. What options do I have?"

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you Ole37 for the information. Please let me know how everything works out and if needed I will be happy to answer any other questions you may have. I will continue to monitor this topic for your reply. Good luck :)

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hi rshaffer61

Didn't have a problem getting a return authorization. Didn't even have to talk to anyone or explain my motives. Did it all on line. I want to thank you for your indulgence. I'll drop a post to let all know how this turns out. I see that you are in the Memphis area. I'm located in the better side of the state near Maryville.

Ole37

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you for the update and it's great to meet someone from local time.
I will continue to monitor this topic for your result from Tigerdirect. I hope you can get another system and we will be happy to assist in that also. I would suggest maybe investing in a Full Version OS disk so that you will not have to worry about doing a upgrade. Now I would like to say:

Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

If you are happy with the service I provided, please consider making a donation to GeeksToGo to support the Free Technical Support offered. Go HERE to make a donation.