Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account

I NEED HELP ASAP!

• Please log in to reply

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Hey People,

I use limewire pro to download music etc. I went to download a game called Rebound of the lost world, and it downloaded etc. I virus checked it and there was no virus, so I clicked on the setup - thinking that I was going to install it on my WINDOWS XP HOME SP 2 computer. I got any error message to say that it cannot run on a windows NT Based system.

Now everytime I start my compter I get a setup popup to install the very same thing. I also some how got a software on my computer called p2pnetwork.exe and I so need help to get ride of it.

How can I stop these 2 problems and remove them off my computer without having to re-install my operating system?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty, then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Ok I did it...... just waiting on a reply.

errol.p

errol.p

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello, this may help. Search for the thread called "regedit & task manager wont work" it was started by shauns1. That deals with the p2pnetwork.exe problem.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
General cure for this problem:

Before you start, please check if the path to the files is correct for your Windows version. (It should be for most XP computers)

*Click here to download
Killbox by Option^Explicit.
*Extract the program to your desktop and double-click on its folder, then double-click on
Killbox.exe to start the program.
*In the killbox program, select the Delete on Reboot option.
*Copy the file names below to the clipboard by highlighting them and pressing Control-C:

C:\Program Files\MsConfigs\MsConfigs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\p2pnetwork.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CMD.COM
C:\WINDOWS\system32\netstat.com
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ping.com
C:\WINDOWS\system32\regedit.com
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tasklist.com
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskkill.com
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.com
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tracert.com

*Return to Killbox, go to the File menu, and choose "Paste from Clipboard".
*Click the red-and-white "Delete File" button. Click "Yes" at the Delete on Reboot prompt.
Click "No" at the Pending Operations prompt.

After the reboot run HijackThis again. Check the following items in HijackThis.
Close all windows except HijackThis and click Fix checked:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MsConfigs] C:\Program Files\MsConfigs\MsConfigs.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [p2pnetwork] p2pnetwork.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [p2pnetwork] p2pnetwork.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [p2pnetwork] p2pnetwork.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\RunServices: [p2pnetwork] p2pnetwork.exe

For those that couldn't remember some of the filenames: they should be in there.

Hope it helps someone.

Regards,

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Thank you guys so much aye....... If it was not for you lot I would not have solved this..... I thank you so much.

Oh and b\t\w if it seems that sometimes I panic when stuff on my computer happens that I dont know about, I do this cause my girlfriend brought me this computer and it costed $3000.00 so Im trying to take really good care of my computer lol.

Also just another thing, is that Integrity Check in some virus scanners, what does that really do? and how does it work?