Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading computer

• Please log in to reply

KoE_Dae'Loki

KoE_Dae'Loki

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I own a Dell Inspiron 5160 here are the system specs

CPU= Intel Pentium 4 Mobile 2.80Ghz
Memory= PC2700 512MB one module, with one open slot
HDD= Fujitsu 20GB 5400 RPM
Video= NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 64MB Integrated, dedicated VRAM
OS= Windows XP Home SP3

I have noticed that some older games that I play like ones that require 1/4 of my system specs are sluggish on this system. I tried to play starcraft, Diablo II, hech even Guild Wars, and they all run very slow as in 7 FPS.

I was wondering if there is an easy and cheap upgrade that can resolve this issue, was thinking of buying a 512MB RAM stick for it, but didn't know if that would make any difference.

I know I am going to upgrade the HDD and battery with this system eventually. Someone was telling me I can buy a PCMCI video card, but didn't know anything about it, as I would like to have a better video card on this system.

I am welcome to all suggestions, I know I should just buy a new one which I will do early next year, but this laptop will go to my mother once I buy a new one and wanted it to be upgraded for her as well.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi KoE_Dae'Loki,

I have noticed that some older games that I play like ones that require 1/4 of my system specs are sluggish on this system. I tried to play starcraft, Diablo II, hech even Guild Wars, and they all run very slow as in 7 FPS.

Many people think they know all the ways to speed up a computer. Take a look at this guide, Maintaining Your Machine by Geekstogo's Artellos to make sure you have done everything. The programs JKDefrag and ATF Cleaner mentioned in that guide, I would highly recommend over any program you may have used like it, especially windows based programs.

I was wondering if there is an easy and cheap upgrade that can resolve this issue, was thinking of buying a 512MB RAM stick for it, but didn't know if that would make any difference

Upgrading to a total of 1GB will help some, especially if you have multiple programs open at the same time. XP runs ok at 512, but much better at 1 gig. I would recommend buying from Newegg. There customer service is supposed to be great(never had to use it) and their prices are pretty much the best. Let me know if you need help knowing which specific memory to buy.

I know I am going to upgrade the HDD and battery with this system eventually.

If your hard drive is full, that could be part of the problem. Also, when you upgrade, I would recommend going with a 7200 RPM HDD drive. SSD(Solid State Drives) are becoming the new thing, but I thought I would share with you that XP has been experiencing problems with them, and usually requires some registry tweaks. So if SSD is a way you were looking to go, I would study up on that before you do so.

Someone was telling me I can buy a PCMCI video card, but didn't know anything about it, as I would like to have a better video card on this system.

Usually laptops video cards cannot be upgraded, and the first thought that comes to mind about the PCMCI card is that it would probably not be much to work with since that card could only operate at whatever transfer rate PCMCI operates at.
I hope this helps :)

Edited by Ferrari, 11 June 2009 - 10:26 PM.

pctestcardcom

pctestcardcom

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I would add 1GB RAM to the system, 1GB RAM won't cost too much more than 512mb.

Video card is the other part needed but you can try the PCMCIA video card just like the other members who already suggested.
I would also reduce the game resolution and the background effect settings to make the gameplay smoother.

Hope this helps!
Bill
tech manager
www.PcTestCard.com