Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU at 100% most of the time

• Please log in to reply

Mom2han8

Mom2han8

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
My computer is running very slowly... scanned for malware, spyware... came out clean. Installed Windows update. Removed redundant/outdated programs, etc.

In Windows Task Manager under Processes the System Idle Process fluctuates between 89 and 95 under the CPU heading.

Is this normal or an indication of a greater problem? Will fixing this speed up my computer?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Advertisements

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
When did you first notice the issue?

Please post the make/model of your machine along w/ specs.

Mom2han8

Mom2han8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
It has been getting progressively slower recently (past month, or so), finally decided to check the windows task manager today and that is when I noticed the high CPU usage...

I don't want to sound dumb, but is there a place on my computer where I can find the make/model and specs that you seek?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download and install EVEREST
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

Mom2han8

Mom2han8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
OK.... here is the information you requested!

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Report Wizard
Computer XXXXXXX
Generator XXXXXXX
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2009-06-12
Time 10:37

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 3
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name XXXXXXX
User Name XXXXXXX

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium IIIE, 733 MHz (5.5 x 133)
Motherboard Name Compaq Deskpro
Motherboard Chipset Intel Solano i815E
System Memory 384 MB (SDRAM)
BIOS Type Compaq (06/18/00)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter Intel® 82815 Graphics Controller (Microsoft Corporation) (32 MB)
3D Accelerator Intel i752

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Intel 82801BA ICH2 - AC'97 Audio Controller [B-0]

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel® 82801BA Bus Master IDE Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive WDC WD800JB-00ETA0 (74 GB, IDE)
Optical Drive COMPAQ SC-148F (48x CD-ROM)
Optical Drive HP CD-Writer+ 8100 (4x/2x/24x CD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 76308 MB (24589 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse Microsoft PS/2 Port Mouse (IntelliPoint)

Network:
Network Adapter Intel® PRO/100 VM Network Connection (67.80.233.109)
Modem Smart Link 56K Voice Modem

Peripherals:
Printer Canon LBP-660
Printer Dell AIO Printer A920
Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer
USB1 Controller Intel 82801BA ICH2 - USB Controller 2 [B-0]
USB Device Dell AIO Printer A920
USB Device Generic USB Hub
USB Device USB Printing Support

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First issue I see is
System Memory 384 MB (SDRAM)

You have barely enough memory to run XP and running anything else will slow your system down. I suggest the following for this issue:

Go HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

If this does not work then:

Go to:
Start and then My Computer
Right Click On "C" drive and then click on Properties
Click on Tools tab at the top
In the Error Checking field click Check Now

When that is done

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

Reboot and let me know how system is running now

Mom2han8

Mom2han8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Wow.... thanks!

I may not be able to do all of this today, but will do soon! I will absolutely let you know how it works.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you and we will continue to monitor this topic for your reply.

Mom2han8

Mom2han8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I was able to perform the tasks that you recommended. Here are the results!

OK... I ran the Crucial online scanner and here is the report:

Currently installed memory:

256MB
SDRAM, PC133
64MB
SDRAM, PC133
64MB
SDRAM, PC100

Each memory slot can hold SDRAM, PC133 with a maximum of 128MB per slot.*

*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.
• Maximum Memory Capacity: 512MB
• Currently Installed Memory: 384MB
• Available Memory Slots: 0
• Total Memory Slots: 3
• Dual Channel Support: No
• CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
• CPU Family: Intel Pentium III processor Model 8, Stepping 3
• CPU Speed: 730 MHz
• The name of this model may not exactly match the model description of your system, our system scanner could not identify a specific model name when evaluating your computer. However, it was able to identify the motherboard your system utilizes.

Q: Will my system recognize the maximum upgrade?
A: Possibly
How much memory your Windows OS will recognize depends on which version of Windows you are running. 32-bit versions of Windows will see (and utilize) only 3GB or 3.5GB. To utilize more memory, install a 64-bit version of your OS. More information about OS memory maximums can be found at http://www.crucial.c...r.aspx?qid=4251.
We're now showing 1 of 1 compatible upgrades show all
SDRAM upgrades
US $22.99

128MB

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then, I dowloaded ATF Cleaner, which was successful. This is the information I received after running this program:

Done Cleaning!
ATF CLEANER has freed 95.809 MBs

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dowloaded Auslogics Defrag (great program... so much faster than the MS defrag that came with my computer!)...

This is the information from the Summary Report (I kept the full report, but it is HUGE, so I figured you did not want to see that!):

Time: 6/12/2009 11:45:51 AM
Report for the user "Jackie"
Disk: Local Disk (C:), NTFS
Disk Defragmentation Summary

Disk Size 74.52 GB
Free Space Size 24.77 GB
Clusters 19535032
Sectors per cluster 8
Bytes per sector 512
Started defragmentation at 6/12/2009 11:45:51 AM
Completed defragmentation at 6/12/2009 11:53:20 AM
Elapsed time 00:07:29
Total Files 150982
Total Directories 15254
Fragmented Files 1410
Defragmented Files 1410
Skipped Files 0
Fragmentation Before 1.52% |
Fragmentation After 0.00%

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I rebooted my computer... unfortunately it still seems to be running the same (the System Idle Process is still eating up most of the CPU usage), though the usage seems to be lower than the 100% prior to the changes you recommended.

I guess I will have to increase the memory... I would appreciate any suggestions you might have for this. Also, is this something I can do myself? I think my husband has done this in the past.

Also, I have a large number of picture, music files on my computer, which I know take up a great deal of space. Would it be helpful if I moved them to a memory stick? Or would purchasing an additional hard drive be helpful?

If this is the wrong thread for these questions or if I should post this in another topic please advise...

I really appreciate your help. You have been awesome!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Also, I have a large number of picture, music files on my computer, which I know take up a great deal of space. Would it be helpful if I moved them to a memory stick? Or would purchasing an additional hard drive be helpful?

This will definitely help your speed. Being a desktop you should be able to add a second drive with no problem. Then move the above mentioned files to the new drive. After doing that then make sure you run Auslogics again to clean up the drive.

Next let's take a look at the following:

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Advertisements

Mom2han8

Mom2han8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
OK... downloaded and ran the Autorun program you recommended... I am attaching the reports from the five files that I deleted.

Thanks again!

Attached Files

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Two things, one download THIS remove any remaining Mcafee bits.

Two,

Click Start >> Run >> Type in: Msconfig >> click the start up tab >> uncheck all except Kaspersky >> Reboot

Mom2han8

Mom2han8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ok.. I removed the remaining McAfee components with the McAfee removal software that you recommended. It was successful.

I followed your instructions regarding Msconfig command. (There were a great number of files checked... one was that stupid Adproxy (which never seems to go away no matter what you do)... so I suspect that this is, indeed, a large part of my problem... all of this junk running at Start-Up.

In any case, I did as instructed and rebooted my computer. At Start-up I received a message (the standard blue/beige Windows message)entitled "System Configuration Utility", which said:
You have used the System Config. Utility to make changes to the way Windows starts.

The System Config. Utility is currently in diagnostic or Selective Start Up mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run every time Windows starts.

Choose the Normal Startup mode on the general tab to start Windows normally and undo the changes you made using System Config. Utility.

It had a checkbox and next to it: Don't show this message or luanch the System Config. Utility when Windows starts.

Then it had an option for OK.

I did not check the box, just hit ok... I wanted to see if the System Config. changes had taken effect... so I went there... checked normal under general, when I went to Start up everything that I had unchecked was rechecked.

Tried checking Selective Startup under General, but when I went to Start up everything was still checked.

Checked Diagnostic and under General nothing was checked (not even Kaspersky)...

While writing this I just checked it again...

I have Selective Start-up checked under General (all boxes checked under that option)... under Start-up there are now 2 things checked (one is the avp - Kaspersky file; the other is ctfmon - a windows system file).... should I uncheck the ctfmon file and reboot again??? I don't really remember whether or not that was an option that I unchecked to begin with... I suspect it may have been as all of the others are there.

Also, will I ever be able to check Normal Start-Up or will I always have to use Selective??? Does it matter?

UGH... this is driving me to distraction... the only good thing in all of this is all of your assistance and patience... thanks again!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The box you got about selective startup is normal since you chose to "selectively startup).
That box will not create any problems with the computer. It is just a warning. It is ok to put a check in the box "to never see this warning again".
The reason behind the msconfig and wanting you to stop the programs from starting is to see if any 1 of them is causing you to slow down.
The program is not uninstalled, just stopped from starting and running in the background. Most programs (other than antivirus, malware scanners and firewall can be started by clicking on the shortcut.

123runner

Mom2han8

Mom2han8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
OK.... It seems to be spiking much less frequently to 100% since running the Msconfig and changing the programs running at start-up (the system idle process is still the main culprit)... Of course under Windows Task Manager I clicked on CPU Usage so now that is the only screen I can see... tried to get back to Windows Task Manager main page, but it will not budge... I tried right-clicking the minimized Windows Task Manager bar and hitting Ctrl-Alt-Delete, but to no avail... am going to restart and hope that helps.

I thank you all... I learned a great deal!

If there is anything else I need to do just let me know!

Thanks again!