Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OS Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply

cheatah

cheatah

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi all i'm new to geeks to go so if i do anything wrong in this post just let me know!

History

> Reinstalled COD4 after a dodgy uninstall (used program manager to remove, but still ran all features until game play :S) Hard deleted any files remaining, then reinstalled.

> upon install completion, an error reading something along the lines of 'some windows files have been altered or replaced with unauthorised versions, please insert Windows XP SP3 disk' - it wouldn't accept my SP2 disk, and seeing that i had 10 updates decided to shut down the PC, let them install and call it a night.

> unfortunately the following morning i awoke to find the PC wouldnt boot at all, instead an error message appeared on a blank screen reading "lsass.exe unable to locate component.......failed to start because LSASRV.dll not found...."

> There was no following message box, only a blank screen.

> Rebooting to safe mode, same error box, same following blank screen.

> Have tried booting from XP disk, same error message, same blank screen.

Is there any way i can avoid a reformat here? i could probably find a spare pc to plug this HDD into if it helps.

(additional info: Running XP home SP3, on a home build desktop. No recovery Partition.)

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light

Cheatah

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
LSASRV.dll is a Windows system dll thats required by lsass.exe

Try running System File Checker (sfc /scannow) from a command line.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

cheatah

cheatah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Right ok so sfc /scannow from a command line works, how do i get to a command line from boot. Broni / Shaffer, i can't get into an OS at all, so are these suggestions for what to do if i can get the drive into another machine?

Sorry if this seems negative, its just getting to me @: ARF! lol

Thanks for the input so far.

Cheatah

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not being able to boot into windows is a problem. When you tried to boot to XP cd did you change the boot sequence in the BIOS first?

It sounds like a Repair Installation is needed at this point. Follow these next steps to do the repair:

Repair Installation Instructions

· Insert your Windows XP CD in your CD-ROM and then Restart your computer.
· At the first post screen start tapping the Del key to enter System Bios
· Find the Advance Options or Boot Sequence screen.
· You will need to change the boot sequence so that the CDrom is first and the HD is second.
· Press F10 to Save and Exit and then press Enter to accept.
· The system will now reboot
· When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
· When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER
· To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
· At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. DO NOT SELECT THIS OPTION.

· On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
· Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected and highlighted in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.
· Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

You can also go HERE
to read a step by stepp tutorial with screenshots.

cheatah

cheatah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The motherboard boots to its own splash screen on startup, before anything else. I get the
"
Gigabyte dynamic energy saver 's' series
"
Splash screen, at which point i hit esc and it gives me a boot order choice. i choose boot from cd drive, the drive activity indicator flashes, but i still get the same error message after the windows loading bar screen.

so still can't even get to recovery console :S

Cheatah

cheatah

cheatah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok got the pc to boot from disk (didn't like sata cd drive previously)

ran repair

allowed to complete, restarted itself - should i have told it to boot from disk again here?

allowed to boot from hdd

same lsasrv.dll error

restarted system

ran recovery console - tried running the cmd line c:\windows>sfc /scannow but cmd not recognised, guess i need to change the prefix - but have no idea how due to now having used dos since my dads 3.1 laptop back in the mid 90s lol

any more advice greatly appreciated - will be up all night if needs be!

Cheatah