Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restore Windows XP to factory settings-erase everything

• Please log in to reply

yobraniac

yobraniac

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Hello,

I would like to restore my computer (Windows XP) back to it's factory settings. I am only about 45% sure of how to do this. My computer is very very slow (computer info says I'm at 95% usage for my D: drive and 60% for C:) and I've already been to the malware virus forum a few months ago and that helped a little but right now I just want to erase everything and start fresh. I done everything possible to fix the computer without erasing everything but I have so much junk on my computer I can't remember what is what or what goes with what. So I think the best thing right now is to just start fresh and save the important stuff. If anyone could help me or point me in the right direction that would be great. I have an external hard drive to back up my stuff and I believe I still have the disks that came with the computer but I'm not sure how to use them.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go Here for step by step instructions on how to partition, format, and install XP fresh

yobraniac

yobraniac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
I just went over the instructions for reinstalling but I seem to have a problem I think. My computer came with windows xp already installed on it. I don't have an installation disk or anything. I have everything that came with the computer and I thought there were disks but there are not. I have the pc troubleshooting and maintenance guide and it keeps talking about a full system recovery which I think will do what I want but I'm not sure.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What is the Make and Model of your system?
If you got no install disks with it then it should have what is called a Recovery Partition on it. This is what you will have to use to format and install XP fresh. It will take the system back to the way it was when you bought it.
All data will be erased and you will have to get all the updates for everything again.

yobraniac

yobraniac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Compaq presario intel[r] pentium[r] d cpu 2.80ghz windows xp media center edition version 2002 service pack 3

Also how would i go about finding and using this recovery partition?

Thanks

Edited by yobraniac, 12 June 2009 - 10:24 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What model Presario is it?
The recovery partition should be accessible by tapping the F10, F11 or F12 button when system is booting up.
Try the keys and one should get you to the recovery partition.

yobraniac

yobraniac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
I got this off the side of my tower: compaq persario sr2050nx product # re476aa

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Boot the system and as soon as it starts then start tapping the F1 key.
It should say Entering Setup

When it gets into the setup then what you want to do is the Full System Recovery
This will format the system and take it back to factory settings just like when it was new.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
I believe its F11 to start recovery for HP/Compaq machines.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try both keys and when you do enter Recovery then follow the rest of the instructions I posted. Again just a FYI this will format and you will lose any data on the system.

Edited by rshaffer61, 12 June 2009 - 11:34 AM.

yobraniac

yobraniac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
by any data you just mean programs I installed after I got it right? Like bitcomet & firefox or my printer programs my music etc? Not like format it and I can't do anything or windows won't show up right? I'm transferring my files etc to my external hard and making sure I can re-download my programs or make sure that I have the disks. Does anyone know what will happen with my internet? I have comcast and a tech came and installed everything so I don't have a disk or anything. If I just hook everything back up should it work? Also I have a trial version of Microsoft office 2007 that is not expired yet. Do you think I will be able to reinstall and finish up my time or is that just lost.

yobraniac

yobraniac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
by any data you just mean programs I installed after I got it right? Like bitcomet & firefox or my printer programs my music etc? Not like format it and I can't do anything or windows won't show up right? I'm transferring my files etc to my external hard and making sure I can re-download my programs or make sure that I have the disks. Does anyone know what will happen with my internet? I have comcast and a tech came and installed everything so I don't have a disk or anything. If I just hook everything back up should it work? Also I have a trial version of Microsoft office 2007 that is not expired yet. Do you think I will be able to reinstall and finish up my time or is that just lost.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
By format it will delete everything.
Comcast should work without their disk. You just have to make sure when XP installation asks if you want to setup the network you have to tell it YES.
The rest of your programs will have to be reinstalled. Office I would think should be able to be reinstalled but since it's a trial that may be a issue.
The only other way you can do this without losing everything is to do what is called a Destructive install
This should keep your data intact and just reset windows back to original form. You would then have to get all the updates for windows again by going to Windows update.

Edited by rshaffer61, 12 June 2009 - 07:29 PM.

yobraniac

yobraniac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Thanks for all your help! Computer is now back to factory settings (hooray!) now all I have to do is figure out why my dvd burner in the expansion slot is making my burner in the first slot disappear and I'll be great! Headed over to hardware......

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your original issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

If you are happy with the service I provided, please consider making a donation to GeeksToGo to support the Free Technical Support offered. Go HERE to make a donation.

Edited by rshaffer61, 14 June 2009 - 02:08 AM.