Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ram

• Please log in to reply

sharon60

sharon60

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i need more ram i believe . cause my computer says im low on memory. so i called a couple of places they said i cant get more ram cause my computer cant handle it. there to ram things in my computer they each say 250 something that total to 512 i think. but they said to take one an put a 1 mb in wouldnt give me a full mb. i like my sims 2 games but i cant play my sims 3 cause of memory. how if there is a way to get more ram. thanks sharon ps i have a old dell windows xp 3000.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I have your memory configuration HERE. I suggest you still do the Online Scanner to double check my findings.
For a Dell Dimension 3000 desktop pc, Crucial says you have a maximum memory of two gigs.
You should have two memory slots and each is capable of handling one gig of memory in each slot.
The memory type is PC2700,DDR PC3200
This should just fine if you max your system out with memory.
There is also a warning about the system may not see more then 256 megs of memory.

Here is what it say's as I am including it in this post to make sure that you can be prepared in case it doesn't read it correctly.

If you receive a "Memory available limited to 256MB!" message after installing more than 256MB, enter BIOS and turn OS Install to OFF. Exit saving changes.Although the memory can be installed one module at a time, the best performance comes from using matched pairs of modules.

Please let me know if we can help to find the memory for you if you chose not to buy it from Crucial themselves. If you scroll down the Crucial page you will see they have the memory in sets so you can buy the full two gigs and have matching pairs. This will help make sure they memory is compatible with each other as well as your system.

Edited by rshaffer61, 12 June 2009 - 09:41 PM.