Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Card Problems

• Please log in to reply

theston3done

theston3done

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a hp Pavilion dv5-1002nr laptop, and I use Vista. I cant play WoW for more than 5 minutes without the graphics card overheating and my screen gets white and black stripes vertically. The computer shop told me 500 dollars to fix and I tried buying a fan but its still overheating. Is there anything I could do to stop this? Use a different Os or anything, please help, thanks.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you been able to play before with no problems?
Have you tried cleaning out the vents on the laptop to make sure they are clear for air flow?
How much memory total?

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts

I have a hp Pavilion dv5-1002nr laptop, and I use Vista. I cant play WoW for more than 5 minutes without the graphics card overheating and my screen gets white and black stripes vertically.

That's called artifacts.. The most common cause is either the graphic/northbridge chipset is faulty or indeed overheating.. If you think overheating is the cause, please refer to rshaffer61 suggestion.. You will need a brush to clean them..

You mentioned you use hp Pavilion dv5-1002nr laptop. Is below is the same model with yours?

http://reviews.cnet....7-33088547.html

If yes, then its actually use integrated video.. If still under warranty, just return the motherboard to the vendor and mentioned to them about the problem..

Edited by fenzodahl512, 12 June 2009 - 04:34 PM.