Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop randomly losses internet connection

• Please log in to reply

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
First, try disabling IPv6, simply to remove a potential issue. Secondly, try using a static IP to remove potential DHCP issues.

Step 1 - Disable IPv6:
  • Select Start
  • In the Start Search field type ncpa.cpl and press the Enter key on your keyboard.
  • In the new window, right-click on your Wireless Network Connection and select Properties.
  • In the This connection uses the following items section, remove the tick beside (i.e. disable) Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and then press OK.
Step 2 - Configure a Static IP:
  • Select Start
  • In the Start Search field type ncpa.cpl and press the Enter key on your keyboard.
  • In the new window, right-click on your Wireless Network Connection and select Properties.
  • Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and then press the Properties button.
  • Select the option Use the following IP Address: and then enter in the following details:
    • IP Address: 192.168.1.14
    • Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    • Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
  • Select Use the following DNS Servers and enter in two DNS Servers.
    • Preferred DNS Server: 192.168.1.1
    • Alternate DNS Server: <leave blank>
  • Press OK.
- Dan

Advertisements

monlov

monlov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Dan,
I completed both steps and then restarted the modem and wireless card but no change. I'm not sure if I should restart the computer and see if it stays connected or leave it like this so we can try different things.

also if this helps at all it seems like firefox (or IE) knows that there is not internet even though the computer doesn't. If I type in a website it instantly pulls up the cant connect page. It doesn't slowly try to connect and then time out.

Edited by monlov, 24 June 2009 - 07:10 AM.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
A few things to try then..

1) Re-install your network adapter.
2) Ensure you have the latest drivers installed for your network adapter.

I did a little Google'ing on your wireless adapter, and most sites seemed to suggest that it was a XP/2000/98 adapter; are you sure it's compatible with Vista? Obviously I don't have all the info needed and am basing this off hear-say, but it's worth considering.

Step 1 - Re-install your network adapter:
Please do the following -- *Note: You may need your Network adapter drivers CD in order to complete these steps.
  • Press Start
  • In the Start Search field type devmgmt.msc and then press the ENTER key.
  • In the Device Manager, expand Network adapters
  • Under Network adapters, right-click your network adapter and select Uninstall.
  • Restart your computer; upon reboot, Windows will detect New Hardware and ask you to install your network adapter; please proceed to do so.

monlov

monlov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Dan,
Thanks again for helping me out. I Re-installed the network adapter and updated the drivers. This is the wireless adapter that came with the computer and it came with vista installed so I would hope it would be compatible for vista, or wouldn't everyone with the same computer have the same problem?(hope that doesn't sound condescending, its a serious question).

Hopefully the reinstall and updated drivers work.

monlov

monlov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I am still having the same issue. One thing to note is that it seems like the last few times it has happened it is after I return from hibernate.

monlov

monlov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I had an assumption that the computer wasn't actually loosing connection just thinking that it was that I think were confirmed today. I was watching a streaming video (tour de France) and halfway through I lost connection and couldn't pull up any websites BUT the video kept playing till the end of the race, which was nearly two hours. The video was playing in a browser.

monlov

monlov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
hey,

bumping this back up. Is there something that will stop the computer from making new connections? it happened to me again, this time I was listening to streaming audio and it keep on streaming but wouldn't let me connect to anything else. Thanks for looking, hopefully someone will be able to fix this.

monlov

monlov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
bump

There has to be someone out there that can help me, I cant be the only person who has this problem. Thanks to all who have looked and tried to help so far.

michaella

michaella

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi i'm having the same problem. i had wireless connection on my laptop working fine on thursday but friday morning when i woke up and when to the laptop i saw the red x in the bottom of the screen. both computers (my main computer and my laptop) had went through some kind of downloads during the night because each one had restarted themselves but the laptop never connected to the internet through my network. i rebooted the system hoping that it would find the network on it on but i didn't. when i went to try and establish a connection the laptop is giving me this message about a cable being unplugged. that not the case, the laptop is wireless. the networking center doesn't even give me a choice of connecting to a network and it like it doesn't even see my network.
like the initial poster of this thread, i have tried everything. i have lost connection before in the past and i usually just reestablish my network and everything is fine. but this time i can't get this laptop to search for any kind of network. in looking at my events logs, i noticed instances where the times when the connection was lost, the log gave statements like the lease on this address had expired. i noticed there were times when it didn't assign an address to the and it said it had been declined. i have no idea what these means but could this be part of the problem why i can't connect? i have restarted and rebooted so many times. i have even tried some of the things that were advised to the the poster of this thread and still no luck.
so if anyone can help it will be appreciated because i hope that after two years of having this laptop that i just don't have a glorified piece version of a three ring binder.

TheWhiteRose000

TheWhiteRose000

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
....Just cause its my catchphrase.

8D

Have you updated the drivers yet?

Advertisements

michaella

michaella

• Pip
  • 2 posts
the drivers are updated. i did do a system restore by pressing F11 while restarting my laptop and i was able to get on the network that way. i held the connection for as long as i was using the computer. but the next day when i went to use it again, i had lost the connection. seems like the only way i can get it to connect to the network is when i restart with system restore and then it connects, but i don't want to keep doing that just to connect to my network. when the laptop isn't in use for a long period of time, it goes into a standby mode and this is usually when i loose the connection.

TheWhiteRose000

TheWhiteRose000

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
Have you tried power cycling?
And are you running Vista or 7?

X3

I'm too lazy to doublecheck.
xD

A power cycle is turning both routers off for 30 seconds.
Plugging the wifi router in and then the main router.

give it a second to reconnect and it works.
To me it just sounds like a Driver problem.

My friend had it installed for his wifi card.
Said his internet randomly kept going off and on.
I went to update.Microsoft.com and downloaded the update drivers for his card.
He is never without internet now.