Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezing unless in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

heiser

heiser

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I have had this problem for a while now, but it was usually fixed through exessive restarting until it did not freeze on me. Sometimes the computer would freeze before the windows 'welcome' screen comes up, while sometimes it would go for 1-2 minutes before freezing. In safe mode, where it wont freeze on me, I have ran disk check, defragment, registry fix, memtest, and spyware doctor with little problems showing. After doing all this I rebooted to normal mode and it still froze on me. I really don't know what else to do at this point and would greatly appriciate some help.

My system is an old Dell XPS 410 running Windows XP Home Professional, I think. It has been heavily modified over the past 4-5 years including new memory, a new CPU, and a new video card. The video card is the only recent thing I have installed and may be the cause of the problem, but I dont know how to check for this. If you need to know anything else just post and I will be sure to do my best to find out for you.

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
so if I understand you correctly you can get in to safe mode without it freezing now?
If so then we can run some diagnostics. Please do the following step first:

Let's check your memory and make sure there is no issue with it.Donwload memtest86 from the link in my signature below.

Get the file that is named Download - The one you want is "Download - Pre-compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). When it downloads, it will be labeled memtest86+2.11.iso.zip
Unzip the file once you download it. You should have a .iso file in the unzipped directory. It will look like a zip file in some cases but the file name will now be memtest86+2.11.iso

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc in my signature below.

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

Make sure the bios is set for the cd drive as the first boot device
Put the cd in the cd drive and then boot your computer.

Running the Diagnostic Program:

The basic diagnostic screen has five main sections of relevant information. Three at the top which are labeled, PASS %, TEST %, and TEST #. This will basically show you the total progress of the current test, the overall progress of the diagnostic test, and the test number is currently performing.

On the middle left hand side of the of the program interface there is a “Wall Time” section that will keep track of how long the diagnostic test has been running for. This just gives you an idea if you are not attending the testing process.

The main section to look for is the lower half of the screen which is usually blank. As long as the memory testing is going ok with no errors this section of the screen should remain blank. If the diagnostic program finds any serious faults in the memory you will see it display a memory dump of address’s in this section. This is similar to what is displayed on your screen when you encounter a blue screen of death.

You now have most everything you need to know about setting up and testing your memory with diagnostic programs. This guide should help you get to the source of any intermittent problems related to your memory.

Run memtest for at least 2 hours
If it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the memory
If there are no errors after 2 hours press Esc and that will end the tests
We will then try other options

heiser

heiser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
As I said in the first post, I already ran a memcheck that came up with 0 errors after 3 hours. Should I still try this?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then let's check the temperatures.

Download Speedfan (The download link is in the first line of the second paragraph), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

Posted Image

heiser

heiser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Each time I try to run it I get a 'SpeedFan has encountered a problem and needs to close.' error. Going to try a restart.

heiser

heiser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
There is only one reading for me.

HD0: 24C

And there is nothing at the bottom of mine like there is on yours.

Posted Image

Edited by heiser, 12 June 2009 - 05:11 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm this is strange.
This could be a overheating issue
A MOBO problem or PSU problem
I'm a little concerned there is no reading for the cpu at all.
No fan readings either

Can you open the case up and with the system running please check all the fans
There should be 3 to check. PSU, Case fan and CPU fan.
Make sure especially on the cpu fan that there is nothing stopping it from running like a wire caught in the fan blades or dust clogging it.

heiser

heiser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
All 3 fans are running, though the CPU one seems a bit slow. Its very dusty in there, is it safe to run a commerical vacuum on it?

heiser

heiser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I cleaned it out with some tape and a handheld vacuum, it now starts much faster than before but still freezes after ~1 minute.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok I'm worried about that CPU fan as it is running slower according to you.
Can you rerun Speedfan and see if it picks up the fan this time?
Post back with your results.

Advertisements

heiser

heiser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Still only showing the HD0, which has raised to 41 degrees.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This under a normal situation is not good.
How old is the system and more specifically has the cpu fan ever been replaced since you bought the system?
I would suggest if you can to purchase a can of compressed air and try blowing the fan out to make sure it is clean. I am still inclined to think you are having a over heating problem as the system freezes.

heiser

heiser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
The system is about 4-5 years old and the fan has never been replaced. Originally I thought it may have something to do with it being old but I threw that idea because it booted in safe mode. I don't know much about the hardware on computers but it seems logical to me that if it will boot in safe mode it might be a software issue, but I don't know how to go about diagnosing it. I dont think I'll be able to get compressed air because of my age and my dad not liking my computer habit. So, if this is somehow the problem, how else can I go about fixing it.

EDIT: Temp is down to around 36 now.

Edited by heiser, 12 June 2009 - 08:18 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The only other way is to replace the cpu fan. If the fan is the problem then a new fan will fix the problem. If it is a software issue then trying to get into normal mode and turning off some auto starting programs may help.
I'm not sure if this will work but you can try this. Try this in normal mode first and if it doesn't work then try safe mode. As I said I don't know if running this in safe mode will be able to tell me what I need to know.

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
7: Attach to your next reply.

heiser

heiser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I tried 3 times to do it in normal mode each time it froze. The last time I even tried moving all my desktop icons to one folder in safe mode beforehand to try and reduce the loading time, which is where it crashes. In the end it had to be done in safe mode. The file you requested is attached.

Attached Files

Edited by heiser, 12 June 2009 - 08:59 PM.