Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer freezing unless in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You will need to borrow an OS disk of the same type you have installed (Home or Pro)
You can buy a can of compressed air at almost any computer shop and\or electronics store. They are usually sold right along side with the computer KB's, Mouse pads and Cables.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi guys...

Let's take a look to see if it's service or driver causing the problem.

Click Start, then Run, type msconfig...click "Ok". In the configuration window, under the "General" tab, select "Diagnostic Startup". Apply the change and reboot. If Windows starts normally, you will receive configuration change dialog window...just click "Ok" and see if the system runs ok in this configuration...if it does, we'll see if we can pinpoint which driver or service is causing the problem.

wannabe1

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks Wannabe1...I appreciate your assistance anytime. :)

heiser

heiser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
In the middle of setup the reciever for my wireless keyboard and mouse goes out and doesn't come back, even after disconnecting and reconnecting it. My computer has none of the older keyboard/mouse connectors. What should I do.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yup...those will be disabled in diagnostic mode. Let's try a Selective Startup instead and see if it works.

Go back into the configuration utility and change from Diagnostic Startup to Selective Startup. Remove the tick next to "Load Statup Items" and Apply the change.

Then, under the "Services" tab, tick the box at the bottom left to "Hide All Microsoft Services"...then click the "Disable All" button. Apply the change and reboot. See if it will boot to Normal Mode in this configuration.

heiser

heiser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I'm not doing what you suggested just yet. Right now I am attempting a windows repair.

heiser

heiser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I think I'm screwed. The repair won't continue past the Installing devices popup and my wireless stuff won't work, in fact no USB items will work. And my computer has no ps/2 connectors. Any ideas?

heiser

heiser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I officially have no clue what to do, and think my computer is unsalvagable right now. The USB ports work, my speaker that runs off USB power, but the reciever will not turn back on at all.

EDIT: I tried a wired USB mouse and it turned off at the same time, it freezes when a pop up about an audio driver that windows does not identify or something asks me if I want to install it.

Edited by heiser, 13 June 2009 - 02:38 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have Legacy USB Support enabled in the BIOS Setup?

heiser

heiser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
What's this under in bios

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It depends on which BIOS version you have. On most it's under the Advanced CMOS Setup.

heiser

heiser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I don't have an option or that. Only thing is front and rear USB which are on and USB controller which is on the no boot setting

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I haven't forgotten about you. Just checking on your MOBO to see if I can find the manual for it.

Edited by rshaffer61, 13 June 2009 - 07:10 PM.

heiser

heiser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
The original problem is fixed, it boots now. I did as suggested in a diff post and installed windows over the original copy. I now have all my files but they aren't on the all programs list. Is there a way to get these back on the programs list?

Edited by heiser, 13 June 2009 - 04:36 PM.

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
There's nothing like a fresh copy of software. Seeing how at this point you have already done a repair install i suggest removing the programs & reinstalling new copies.

Use Windows Installer Cleanup to remove programs.

Windows Installer Cleanup

Edited by Ectech, 13 June 2009 - 05:59 PM.