Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezing unless in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

heiser

heiser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok, I have isolated the problem. Right after I installed a graphics driver for my PNY Verto nVidia GeForce 9600 GSO video card, it crashed. How do I remove this and even more important how do I get the correct video card driver for it. I thought it was the right driver but i suppose it wasnt.

Advertisements

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Nvidia.com should have the driver needed.

heiser

heiser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
The one they suggested is causing the issue, trying a beta driver for my card now.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The newest driver I find is from Nvidia themselves dated May 6th 2009
Version 185.85

You can get it Here

I would suggest you boot into Safe Mode
Uninstall the current driver for your video card.
Then reboot and install the new one. This will make sure there is no conflict between the old installed driver and the new installed driver.

heiser

heiser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
That was the one causing the issues.

I would like to thank everyone that participated in this thread for their help, especially rshaffer61 for his willingness to help me solve my issue. I have moved to the nVidia forums after pinpointing the problem at this thread. Please review it and tell me if there is anything else I should add.

Again, thank you for your help. I would definatly come back to geekstogo if a problem arised.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

If you are happy with the service We provided, please consider making a donation to GeeksToGo to support the Free Technical Support offered. Go HERE to make a donation.