Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP 64 freezes during repair

• Please log in to reply

RickyN

RickyN

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi everyone,
have been running XP64 for quite some time. Recently I was not able to download any updates through the microsoft auto update and did some tinkering to find out why. When I ran a repair on Windows via the MS CD it stated it could not go any further until a file was loaded. Restart your computer and run the repair again. The message was along those lines.

OK so I did that and the repair started to go as expected, all files loaded correctly, until it reached the screen after it says 'Loading Default Configuration' and loads a couple of more files. The next stage it says 'Saving configuration...' and all stop. The only way to continue is to reboot via the power button.

If I try and do a Safe mode start with prompt the last file to load is ACPITABL.dat and then it freezes. I cannot restart through the F8 prompt where it will load the last working registry. It looks for the setup CD for repair.

I installed a new version on the same partition called Windows2 and have been able to manipulate files, but cannot get into the registry to see what might be wrong.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Rick

Advertisements

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Download and install EVEREST
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS [u][b] "DEBUG- PCI"

RickyN

RickyN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for responding to this post.
As requested here is the info. Keep in mind that the info shown is displayed from the second copy of Windows installed on the same partition. Hence why it shows the OS with service pack 1. I'm not sure if this is going to help or not, but thanks.

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 1
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name FAMILY
User Name Administrator

Motherboard:
CPU Type DualCore Intel Pentium D 830, 3000 MHz (15 x 200)
Motherboard Name Asus P5LD2 Deluxe (3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)
Motherboard Chipset Intel Lakeport i945P
System Memory 1024 MB (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (03/20/06)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 6600 (Microsoft Corporation) (512 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce 6600 PCI-E
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (704PG3BY01371)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Intel 82801GB ICH7 - High Definition Audio Controller [A-1]

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 27DF
IDE Controller Intel® 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C0
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive WDC WD2500KS-00MJB0 (232 GB, IDE)
Optical Drive LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-160P6S
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 238464 MB (94680 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse HID-compliant mouse
Game Controller Microsoft PC-joystick driver
Game Controller Microsoft PC-joystick driver

Network:
Network Adapter Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (192.168.2.10)

Peripherals:
USB1 Controller Intel 82801GB ICH7 - USB Universal Host Controller [A-1]
USB Device USB Composite Device
USB Device USB Device
USB Device USB Device
USB Device USB Human Interface Device
USB Device USB Printing Support

--------------------- END REPORT ---------------------

A couple of things I have done since and the repair still freezes at the 'Saving configuration....' step.
I have the latest bios installed and used the latest SATA drivers available from Silicon Image.
On a final note, during Safe Mode start with command prompt my original message stated it froze when loading the file ACPITABL.dat. If I wait long enough the file loads and I get to the Safe Mode Screen, however a message box pops up and says 'Cannot run Windows setup in safe mode. Press F3 to restart windows installation'
The computer freezes and I have to do a hard reboot.

Finally,
if I try and start the system with the last known working configuration I get a blue screen exception error and the memory is dumped. The error states something along the lines of System Exception Error, your system has been stopped to prevent damage.

Thanks again for trying to help.

Edited by RickyN, 13 June 2009 - 04:40 AM.

RickyN

RickyN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
OK I was able to correct the initial problem. Microsoft had a good article on how to correct this.
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;307545

The problem lied within one or all of the following files located in the Windows\System32\config folder:

SAM
SOFTWARE
SECURITY
SYSTEM

OK so basically I had to copy the above files from my Windows\repair directory into the config folder mentioned aboved(after making backups of originals).
This allowed me to restart and access the recovery console which I was unable to do. I then had to copy the same files above from the System Volume Information\_restorexxx\snapshot folder into the
system32\config folder overwriting the files.

The problem I have now is the snapshot only went back a couple of days so none of my software is registered anymore since the registry info has changed.
I'm assuming that info is buried in one of the above files. Is there anyway to repair these files? Since I made backups I can try a few things.

In hindsight I should not have created a new copy of windows on the same partition, as this overwrote all the restore points in the System Volume Information folder.

Any light on this would be helpful.

Thanks

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
The files that you replaced are the ones that contain your registry.
If the original one was corrupted, then you're left with what you've got (and are lucky that it worked - I've found that this sort of repair works less than 50% of the time).

A repair will involve mounting the old registry files, looking through them for the information required by each program, and then copying it over to the new registry (a whole lotta work!). And, if it was one/some of these entries that caused the problem, you could end up with the same issue or worse.

RickyN

RickyN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
OK that I understand. Are these files related to each other? In otherwords, if I was to copy say the SOFTWARE file into the system32\config folder and backup the original, is it possible this may restore my registrations for programs?
All my data is accessible; I just don't want to have to install all these programs again and updates.

Thanks.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Each represents a particular portion of your registry. The times that I've tried to replace one and not the others has never resulted in success for me (I've only done it 3 or 4 times) - and the end result was a wipe and reinstall.

The key here is preserving the versioning of what you do. Moving stuff around like this could result in the system not booting - so you'll have to know exactly which configuration is the one that works so you can restore it.

All in all this is a chancy attempt - it doesn't take into account what else may have happened to the system in the meantime. But since you're able to work with these hives you shouldn't cause any damage by experimenting (unless you overwrite some essential information). So proceed with caution!!!

Good luck!