Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC Disconnects from Network for a minute... then fine?

• Please log in to reply

integraoligist

integraoligist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
the main issues are when the PC's are trying to talk to each other, which is across the Switch... dosent the Switch only use the Router when it needs to go on-line?

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
Hello again,

Lets verify that with a traceroute :)

First, go to one of the LAN PCs and figure out their IP address by running IPconfig.
  • Go to Start and open Run.
  • In the Box, type in cmd
  • A black box will appear. Type in: ipconfig /all
  • A lot of information will appear, You'll need "IP Address".
  • Type in: tracert <ip_lan_pc> (where <ip_lan_pc> is the IP you figured out in the previous step.
  • A lot of information will appear, Please right click the black window and hit mark.
  • Select every line of text you received and hit Enter to copy.
  • Then paste it into your next reply.

Regards,
Olrik

integraoligist

integraoligist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I will do the Traceroute tomarrow morning when i get to work and post it up.

On another note, i did get a hold of the makers of the program that is haveing the issue... they said the only thing they can think of is that .NET 3.5 and 3.0 has conflicts with the program but have never heard of this happeneing.

So, of the 5 machines, on 3 of them I uninstalled .net 3.5, 3.0, 2.0 and kept 1.1 and 1.0
On the last 2 machines (1 of them being the PC that I started this thread with) I could not uninstall any of them. So I did some searching and found "Windows Install Clean Up" program from Microsoft, in there I uninstalled 3.5, 3.0, 2.0.... i restarted, and entered the program again and they were gone. But just to make sure I went back into Add/Remove Programs and 3.5 is still listed... so i try uninstalling it and instead it attemps to INSTALL... so I dont know if it's fully uninstalled or not?

Ideas?

Thanks again!

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts

so i try uninstalling it and instead it attemps to INSTALL... so I dont know if it's fully uninstalled or not?

It sounds like it's gone. Some programs don't clean up their 'mess' from the registry, which I think happened here too.
How does that software run, now that .NET 3.5, 3.0 and 2.0 are gone?
It does sound rather 'dodgy' though, that you need to remove later versions of software in order to run this software.

Regards,
Olrik

integraoligist

integraoligist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Here is the Traceroute

-------------
C:\Documents and Settings\Cashier1>tracert 192.168.1.70

Tracing route to Bar1.gateway.2wire.net [192.168.1.70]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms Bar1.gateway.2wire.net [192.168.1.70]

Trace complete.
-------------

As far as how it's running now, i have to give it sometime to see if the Abort/Retry message appears... i'll let you know.
The software company says it has a "problem" with 3.5 and 3.0... so i removed those two plus 2.0 just to be a little safer.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
Hmmm, you should be able to get a 1000 MegaBit speed on this network if it's never reaching the router.
I'm going to contact someone else who is good with networks and get his thoughts :)

Regards,
Olrik

integraoligist

integraoligist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
ok, after the removal of the .NET 3.5, 3.0, and 2.0... it's still doing the same thing.

So that idea is shot.

I figure if it was the Server, all the PC's would go down at the same time (like it use to)... but they all do it individually.

Thoughts?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
where's the target server? internal or external?
is this a full LAN disconnect? when it happens can you ping between machines or get to the internet? is it just affecting the POS software or what? can you bring a machine that Doesn't have the POS software into the mix and has never been on your network before?

so 3 switches all the same problem? any advanced configs on them or straight out of the box?

i'm not familiar with 2wire and their routers but they're pretty basic contraptions from what i remember...do you have another router that you can try?....routers SHOULDN'T be mucking with the traffic on the LAN...but shouldn't is a dangerous word in networking...it often lulls us into a false sense of security...there are ways that a messed up router or a messed up config CAN cause a router to do bad stuff....since it's the only piece that hasn't been swapped it's a good place to check if you can

what changed before this started happening with the original equipment? anything?

integraoligist

integraoligist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
All the answers arein CAPS

where's the target server? internal or external?
IT'S INTERNAL, CONNECTED TO THE SAME SWITCH AS THE OTHER PC'S

is this a full LAN disconnect?
NOT SURE WHAT THAT IS

when it happens can you ping between machines or get to the internet?
YES, I CAN GET TO THE INTERNET BUT NOT TO THE SERVER TO GET THE PROGRAM RUNNING

is it just affecting the POS software or what?
AS FAR AS I KNOW, YES

can you bring a machine that Doesn't have the POS software into the mix and has never been on your network before?
YES, IT DOES NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS BECAUSE THE POS SOFTWARE IS NOT TRYING TO CONNECT TO THE SERVER FOR ANYTHING.

so 3 switches all the same problem? any advanced configs on them or straight out of the box?
YES, ALL THE SAME PROBLEM... THEY ARE ALL STRAIGHT OUT OF THE BOX

i'm not familiar with 2wire and their routers but they're pretty basic contraptions from what i remember...do you have another router that you can try?....routers SHOULDN'T be mucking with the traffic on the LAN...but shouldn't is a dangerous word in networking...it often lulls us into a false sense of security...there are ways that a messed up router or a messed up config CAN cause a router to do bad stuff....since it's the only piece that hasn't been swapped it's a good place to check if you can
I HAVE A WIFI ROUTER THAT I CAN SWAP OUT, BUT IT DOES NOT HAVE A PHONE-LINE JACK ON IT, SO I CAN NOT CONNECT IT TO THE INTERNET.

what changed before this started happening with the original equipment? anything?
NOT AS FAR AS I KNOW, THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR A LONG TIME, THE LAST PC THAT I ADDED (A COUPLE MONTHS AGO-THE MAIN ONE WITH THE PROBLEM) HAS MORE ISSUSE WITH THE ABORT MESSAGE THEN ANY OF THEM. DONT KNOW WHY BECAUSE IT'S ALL THE SAME CONFIGURATIONS AS THE REST.

Thanks for the help!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
so basically the only network problem involved is the POS software itself...all other network communication is fine (ping, file sharing, internet access, etc)? and you can ping to the server machine from a machine who's POS software has failed to connect right?

if you can be without internet long enough to try the different router...i'd give it a try...though i don't think it's the problem (since it's not effecting all network traffic)...sounds definitely related to the software itself and not the network

also...the makers of the software listed issues with 3.0 and 3.5 but not 2.0....could you try putting .net 2.0 back on one of the machines and see what that does? .net applications are programmed for a specific version of the .net software and aren't big fans of having to deal with other versions.... sometimes you even have to uninstall all installed .net versions then reinstall up to the level that is acceptable with the software...so maybe also try removing all .net revisions on one machine and install up to 2.0...i.e. 1.0, 1.1, 2.0 etc.. just not 3.0 or higher

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
also...are you running an antivirus on any of these machines? especially the server?

integraoligist

integraoligist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
All the answers are in CAPS

so basically the only network problem involved is the POS software itself...all other network communication is fine (ping, file sharing, internet access, etc)? and you can ping to the server machine from a machine who's POS software has failed to connect right?

AS FAR AS I KNOW... BUT I'M NOT 100%, WHENEVER THE MESSAGE APPEARS I DONT THINK TO PING ANY OTHER PC... I JUST HURRY UP AND HIT ABORT AND RESTART THE PROGRAM TO GET IT UP AND RUNNING AGAIN SO THERE ARE NO MISTAKES IN THE ORDERING.

if you can be without internet long enough to try the different router...i'd give it a try...though i don't think it's the problem (since it's not effecting all network traffic)...sounds definitely related to the software itself and not the network
I CAN NOT BE WITHOUT THE INTERNET, THE ONLY TIME IT NEEDS TO ACTUALLY GO ON-LINE IS TO RUN A CREDIT CARD TRANSACTION

also...the makers of the software listed issues with 3.0 and 3.5 but not 2.0....could you try putting .net 2.0 back on one of the machines and see what that does? .net applications are programmed for a specific version of the .net software and aren't big fans of having to deal with other versions.... sometimes you even have to uninstall all installed .net versions then reinstall up to the level that is acceptable with the software...so maybe also try removing all .net revisions on one machine and install up to 2.0...i.e. 1.0, 1.1, 2.0 etc.. just not 3.0 or higher

OK, I JUST PUT 2.0 BACK ON A COUPLE OF THEM... BUT IT WONT LET ME REINSTALL ON THE SERVER AND THIS PC BECAUSE IT STILL SEES THAT 3.5 IS ON THERE, EVEN THOUGH IT IS NOT. AND WHEN I TRY TO REINSTALL 3.5 IT SAYS IT CAN'T. SO I'M STUCK HERE.

also...are you running an antivirus on any of these machines? especially the server?
NORTONS USE TO BE ON THE SERVER FOR THE FIRST YEAR, THEN IT EXPIRED AND I REMOVED IT. IT IS NOT USED TO GO TO ANY WEBSITES, JUST TO RUN THE CREDIT CARD PROCCESSING.

THE MAKERS OF THE PROGRAM CONTINUALY SAY IT'S A HARDWARE ISSUE, NOT A PROGRAM ISSUE BECAUSE NO ONE HAS EVER HAD THIS PROBLEM. :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

AS FAR AS I KNOW... BUT I'M NOT 100%, WHENEVER THE MESSAGE APPEARS I DONT THINK TO PING ANY OTHER PC... I JUST HURRY UP AND HIT ABORT AND RESTART THE PROGRAM TO GET IT UP AND RUNNING AGAIN SO THERE ARE NO MISTAKES IN THE ORDERING.

next time it happens try to do some rudimentary network tests....like pinging another machine on the network, pinging the router, pinging google, etc...

I CAN NOT BE WITHOUT THE INTERNET, THE ONLY TIME IT NEEDS TO ACTUALLY GO ON-LINE IS TO RUN A CREDIT CARD TRANSACTION

is there a time where you could do the router swap test? like a weekend or after hours? i still don't think the router is the issue but without knowing what is...it's silly to discount anything without trying

OK, I JUST PUT 2.0 BACK ON A COUPLE OF THEM... BUT IT WONT LET ME REINSTALL ON THE SERVER AND THIS PC BECAUSE IT STILL SEES THAT 3.5 IS ON THERE, EVEN THOUGH IT IS NOT. AND WHEN I TRY TO REINSTALL 3.5 IT SAYS IT CAN'T. SO I'M STUCK HERE.

lets see if 2.0 clears any issues on the machines that have it....i'll try to research methods of removing 3.5 when it's stuck...you might try uninstalling it in safe mode

NORTONS USE TO BE ON THE SERVER FOR THE FIRST YEAR, THEN IT EXPIRED AND I REMOVED IT. IT IS NOT USED TO GO TO ANY WEBSITES, JUST TO RUN THE CREDIT CARD PROCCESSING.

was norton ever removed? if so how?

THE MAKERS OF THE PROGRAM CONTINUALY SAY IT'S A HARDWARE ISSUE, NOT A PROGRAM ISSUE BECAUSE NO ONE HAS EVER HAD THIS PROBLEM.

yeah...software vendors equate "no one has ever seen this issue" with "this issue cannot exist"

integraoligist

integraoligist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Responces ALL IN CAPS AGAIN.

next time it happens try to do some rudimentary network tests....like pinging another machine on the network, pinging the router, pinging google, etc...

THE MAJORITY OF THE TIME THIS HAPPENS, BY THE TIME I GET TO THE STATION TO RESET THE PROGRAM, IT WILL RESET WITHOUT A PROBLEM. HOWEVER, A COUPLE OF LONG-TERM DOWNTIMES, I WAS NOT HERE, BUT THEY CALLED ME AND I TRIED TO LOG-ON TO THE PC VIA LOGMEIN.COM HOWEVER IT WOULD NOT CONNECT. SO IT'S SEEMS TO ME THAT IT CAN NOT CONNECT TO THE INTERNET AT THAT POINT IN TIME. WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?

is there a time where you could do the router swap test? like a weekend or after hours? i still don't think the router is the issue but without knowing what is...it's silly to discount anything without trying
ONLY TIME I CAN DO A TEST IS BETWEEN 2AM AND 10AM ANY DAY... BUT IT MAY OR MAY NOT DECIDE TO POPUP THE MESSAGE. IT'S SO INTERMITTENT, I CANT GAUGE WHEN IT WILL EVER DECIDE TO DISCONNECT.

lets see if 2.0 clears any issues on the machines that have it....i'll try to research methods of removing 3.5 when it's stuck...you might try uninstalling it in safe mode

was norton ever removed? if so how?

I REMOVED NORTONS VIA THEIR UNINSTALL PROCEDURE, THATS IT. SO I'M SURE THERE ARE STILL REMAINS OF IT ON THERE.

THE MAKERS OF THE PROGRAM CONTINUALY SAY IT'S A HARDWARE ISSUE, NOT A PROGRAM ISSUE BECAUSE NO ONE HAS EVER HAD THIS PROBLEM.

yeah...software vendors equate "no one has ever seen this issue" with "this issue cannot exist"

YEAH, IT'S FUNNY HOW THINGS LIKE THIS "NEVER" HAPPEN WITH "THEIR" SOFTWARE. LOL

integraoligist

integraoligist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Also, since the uninstall of NET 3.5 and 3, the Server has locked up the POS program twice... and when it does this, it will lock up all the other stations POS program as well.

All the PC's are working fine while the program is locked up though.

??