Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

svchost burst every 4 seconds

• Please log in to reply

zmookie

zmookie

• Pip
  • 3 posts
on my system (Gateway GT5476E)there are 3 svchost processes that burst every 4 seconds or so. Svchost viewer shows :
svchost.jpg

my HDD is cranking away and is almost never still.
I have run malwarebytes and am clean
I also have Mcafee
The bursts spike CPU usage to 25-40%

any ideas?
Thanks

Advertisements

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
What are the processes running under each svchost.exe process that bursts?
Have you tried the free program Process Explorer to examine the threads running under each process?
It's available here: http://www.microsoft...ssExplorer.mspx
Right click on the offending process, select Properties, then select the Thread tab.

zmookie

zmookie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i am sorry for not being clear....
The image in my original post shows the svchost culprits and the services running under each

zmookie

zmookie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i believe i have solved the problem

I disabled a wireless NIC that was not connected to my wireless network (i am connected via rj47). once i disabled it the problem was gone...i enabled it and connected to the wireless network and the problem is still gone

this wasnt an instance of making many changes and not knowing what worked...it was a direct result of disabling the NIC. fwiw this problem had been occuring for weeks

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Good work! I'd suspect that the driver loaded into memory was corrupted somehow, and disabling/reenabling it somehow caused it to reset itself. But I've always said that networking was really just magic! :)