Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thinking about my new system

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Case Thermoltake
MOBO and CPU
OCZ Memory 2 sets of these
WD Drives 4 of these
Plextor DVD 2 of these
Second Case Fans 4 of these
Video Card Diamond Radeon HD 4870
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit OEM unless Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit is out when I get ready to build this.
Need suggestions for PSU.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by rshaffer61, 13 June 2009 - 09:33 AM.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
You can use this calculator to find a appropriate wattage for your PSU: http://extreme.outer...culatorlite.jsp
Are you going to be overclocking?
Will you be running a Crossfire configuration later? If so, you would want a PSU above 700W (and a good quality one) in order to make sure that your system is stable.

The wattage given by the calculator is just a guideline, but more important is the total amperage available on the 12, 5, and 3.3 V rails.

Edited by edge2022, 13 June 2009 - 12:49 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• Topic Starter
  • 34,114 posts
What about XION PSU 1000 watts XION

The rail specs:

+5V 30A

+12V1 20A

+12V2 20A

+12V3 20A

+12V4 35A

+12V5 35A

+12V6 20A

-12V 0.5A

+5VSB 5A

Edited by rshaffer61, 13 June 2009 - 01:07 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
That looks like a good PSU.
This one is more powerful, but has the same wattage. I trust Corsair to make solid, good quality products. It really depends on your budget and if you are going to overclock or go for a Crossfire configuration. http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=2535
The Corsair PSU comes with 60 months of warranty, while the other one is for 12 months.

Edited by edge2022, 13 June 2009 - 01:11 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• Topic Starter
  • 34,114 posts
Total price with shipping 3 to 7 days

Not bad and no need to upgrade for awhile.
I think unless something is discontinued or no longer available this will be the way I go.
No reason to think the PSU will have any problem with what I'm installing. BTW I did decide on the Corsair
I have no plans to overclock but might go Crossfire config depending on what i do. I think the one card for no will be sufficient for movies and some game playing.
This could be a monster when done. Good thing I have no plans on launching a satellite any time soon.
:) :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

No reason to think the PSU will have any problem with what I'm installing. BTW I did decide on the Corsair

Good choice. Your system looks very powerful, and you can really make it fly by overclocking it. The PSU will allow you to get another graphics card and set up a Crossfire config, without worrying about wattage or amperage requirements. The card you ordered can be overclocked very well with the cooling you are planning to get. The one card is good for moderate gaming.

Hope your build comes out good. :)

This mobo is a monster: http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=4070
At 390$ it is expensive and doesn't come with a CPU though. It supports an Intel i7 and i7 Extreme.

Edited by edge2022, 13 June 2009 - 04:26 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• Topic Starter
  • 34,114 posts
I'm not much of a Intel fan and have not been for the past 10 years. I can't see spending 1000.00 dollars for just the CPU and another 390.00 for the MOBO when I can get the same speed out of the AMD with a MOBO for 370.00.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
The only comment I have (apart from "PHEW!" when considering the XION PSU) is that Plextor is awfully expensive! You should be able to pickup a decent one for half that price?

Oh and perhaps you could find a better case for that price, I do like Thermaltake but some of their higher-end cases turn me off, I'd probably look into something like an Antec for that budget - what say you? Need suggestions?

What on earth would you do with 4TB of drive space and 8GB of RAM? :)

Cheers

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Or maybe this for a case?

http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=1510

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• Topic Starter
  • 34,114 posts

The only comment I have (apart from "PHEW!" when considering the XION PSU) is that Plextor is awfully expensive! You should be able to pickup a decent one for half that price?

This is true but I really like Plextor drives. They seem to be very reliable and built extremely well.

Oh and perhaps you could find a better case for that price, I do like Thermaltake but some of their higher-end cases turn me off, I'd probably look into something like an Antec for that budget - what say you? Need suggestions?

I took your advice Troy and changed case out with the one you suggested. I was really impressed with that one. I like the ideal of 3 230mm fans.

What on earth would you do with 4TB of drive space and 8GB of RAM? :)

Do you think I'll run out of HD space with 4TB of drives. One question I do have is if I use my existing 250 gig IDE WD drive for just OS would it slow anything down as far as the rest of the system?

Cheers

Edited by rshaffer61, 15 June 2009 - 07:05 AM.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
I am more of an Intel, NVIDIA, and especially Asus fan. AMD is less expensive though.
Are you going to set up a RAID array with your 4 1TB disks? Your mobo has a PCI slot which you can use for a hardware RAID controller.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• Topic Starter
  • 34,114 posts
Nope, no Raid setup. I have never had Raid on any system I owned. Never had a need for it even when I had to format back in February due to a Virut infection. I keep my important data on separate HD's just for that reason. OS is on a specific drive by itself. I guess since I have a IDE controller and only have the one 250 gig HD for OS I could setup Raid for that couldn't I?
My other data normally changes every couple of months so it's backed up then. Another option I''m wondering about is setting up two of the 250 gigs with Windows 7 on one and XP Pro on the other? Is that possible and then use Puppy Linux to boot to when I wanted to play with it on occasions?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Another option I''m wondering about is setting up two of the 250 gigs with Windows 7 on one and XP Pro on the other? Is that possible and then use Puppy Linux to boot to when I wanted to play with it on occasions?

Are you trying to do a triple boot on 3 hard drives? I'm not sure if that is possible.

Here is a good tutorial on what RAID is and how to setup an array: http://www.acnc.com/04_00.html

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
The hard drive is THE slowest component in a computer, the IDE drive will be alright but definitely would be the slowest part in the chain. Get yourself a SATA OS drive and you'll be laughing.

Troy

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• Topic Starter
  • 34,114 posts
Thanks Troy I will think about the SATA OS drive for sure.
Edge the Raid Ideal as appealing it sounds I still see no reason for it.

Edited by rshaffer61, 15 June 2009 - 07:07 AM.