Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

freeze up

• Please log in to reply

ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all , I am getting to a point where I am ready to try a new computer but I would like to fix this.

I have a older setup. AMD 2800 athlon 64 , albatron K8X800 pro 1394 board , 1.5 gib ram , soundblaster live and nvidia 5700 , viewsonic A90f monitor 19"

It started out running xp but the a couple of years ago I started using linux. the last set up was a tri - boot XP,pclinux OS 2007 and myah os. I can't remember when it started having problems but it has been happening for a while. It hangs op randomly and has to be reset sometimes shutdown and restart. last week it had a problem so messed with it a couple a days to try to get it back up. I wiped the drive and installed granular fun works 2007 alone , it still has the same problem.
it used to be once in a while watching you tube but lately any time the processor gets busy it hangs and only reseting gets back in.
any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks, James

Edited by ibmorjamn, 13 June 2009 - 09:57 AM.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
It sounds like it could be a hardware problem with either the motherboard or CPU. You might check to make sure that your system is clean inside and that the CPU is spinning at speed.

It does seem to be heat related.

You might also try to gently press down on the components.

Others might also have suggests.

ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks for the reply, It might be related to the driver for the Nivdia FX5700 card. since all of the synaptic repository restructure due to upgrades from 07 - 09 this may be the problem and the driver might not match the kernel module. I did a fresh install of mepis 8.0 and upgraded from synaptic but have yet to restart . I will see what happens this time.