Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

turning on access point

• Please log in to reply

heat123

heat123

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
I want to turn on access point so only devices with given permission can access my network. I have two computers and one xbox 360 with xbox live. I know all the mac addresses I just don't want to mess it up and get locked out of my network. Also my router is netgear. So if someone could help me with that I would appreciate it. Also is that secure enough along with a tough password for the router?

Thanks,
heat123

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If you do lock yourself out, no biggie, just reset the router.
MAC addresses can be spoofed though and older forms of wireless security can be cracked.
The most secure option is simply don't use wireless. Running network cable everywhere might be messy but nobody else can get to it short of kicking your door down.

heat123

heat123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
So what you are saying is even if I do turn access point on it can still be broken into and other people can still use my network if they know what they are doing. So the safest thing is run network cable and connect all our devices to our router through ethernet cords. Is turning accesss point on worth it? My question is will it make it any more secure. I have a 360 about 40 feet from my router and use network cable. Are any of my other devices that are connected to the network supposed to work when my 360 is direct connected because most people I have talked to say they don't for them but mine do. Can any one get into your network in any way if all your devices are using network cable to connect to the router?

Thanks,
heat123