Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installed dvd burner in expansion slot first burner disappeared. Need

• Please log in to reply

yobraniac

yobraniac

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
I have a compaq persario sr2050nx with an expansion slot and I recently purchased a
SONY 20X+18X DVD±RW LightScribe DUAL LAYER BURNER I bought it because the one that came with the computer was not burning properly. I put it in the expansion slot because the first one still read disks and I though it would be easier to just put it there. When I did that I turned on my computer and it install/updated itself but then my original drive/burner disappeared from the my computer folder. It still opens and closes burn I can't find it anywhere or don't know where to look. I was having other problems with my computer also so I unhooked the drive and formatted my computer so it would be back to like when I first bought it. Then after I did that and I reinstalled the drive again. Again in the expansion slot. It still did the same thing. The new drive shows up and works and the old one disappears. Is there some way to configure my computer so they both will work or is there a compatibility issue? I have put and older burner in there before and it worked fine for a long time then I started having some similar problems and I removed it and everything went back to normal. Is there some sort of configuring that I'm supposed to do that I'm not?

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

yobraniac

yobraniac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
I actually got it working.....though I'm not sure if it was the right way. I found some help on hp.com that told me to go into disk management and when I looked it only showed drive E: which is the original drive only my new burner had that drive instead of the original drive. I even went into the bios to see if it would show up there and it didn't. A friend suggested that my newer burner might be over powering the first one or something and that the new burner might have to be the master and the old one the slave but I was sure how to do that on the computer. So I figured I would just open her up and switch the cords around which would technically make my new one the main drive (E:) and the old one is now J: (the computer assigned that letter). Again I don't know if this was the right or best way but it's working currently. If there is a better way to ensure it works permanently I'll gladly take it. Thanks!

Oh also I tried changing the drive letter but it didn't really do anything because it was still only showing one drive instead of two at first in disk management.

yobraniac

yobraniac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
I'm not sure about the master/slave config but I know that I don't have to do anything after I hook everything up and turn on the computer. It just installs itself. If I have any more problems I'll repost. Thanks!

yobraniac

yobraniac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
I think I have IDE this link is a picture of my exact computer showing the cables.

http://h10025.www1.h...n...132&lang=en