Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows cant boot - Windows\system32\config\system

• Please log in to reply

Midnighter

Midnighter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
Okay, I'm currently trying to Run memtest. I had to press F12 then choose "Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive" option to boot memtest.

Is this supposed to happen: when I selected that option (from above), I get a black screen with [letter]X:0[numbers] moving down the screen---> Ex: AX: 0202, DX:0100. "Scrolling" down really fast.
Then it stops periodically and sometimes moves (scrolls) down really slow, showing these numbers/letters: DX:100... etc.

Since the directions say to look for errors displayed... are these the ones it was talking about? Oris this how memtest "tests" the RAM?

>>>
Also, this is weird, now when I turn it on, instead of saying the previous "Windows XP Professional and Windows Recovery" options in the beginning, it now says "Windows Media Center XP"... probably because we had cancelled the Windows Professional setup from before.

*Broni says that

[I'll] need to find recovery CD for your computer,

Does this mean there is a separate cd (other than reinstallation CD) to do the recovery?

Edited by Midnighter, 15 June 2009 - 07:00 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
We need to finish those tests first.

Midnighter

Midnighter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
Also, what if memtest can't run automatically as you turn on your computer and you have to try to run it "manually" using the "method" I tried in the first part of my post #61?

That wouldn't be a problem would it?

*so the DX:010... etc. thing is how memtest runs? Another question: is 7 runs of that really necessary?

Edited by Midnighter, 15 June 2009 - 07:14 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're doing fine. memtest has to be run for a while. 5-6 passes.

Midnighter

Midnighter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
Ah, then this will span over a couple of days, I won't have time to keep it running straight through 5-6 runs (with finals and all). Is there anything I should note after this first run has finished? (I'll probably only have time for 1 run today.)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Running it overnight is plenty.
If memtest will discover any error(s), it'll tell you.

Midnighter

Midnighter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
Ah, I didn't seem to get the concept before. So memtest would keep on running without it prompting me to continue.
Meaning, after the first run has finished, it would automatically go to the second run without stopping. That's probably why I didn't notice... all this time I thought this was only one whole run.

*After I leave it on all night, how do I "stop" it without just cutting the power/or turning it off via power button?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
The screen for Memtest should look like this:
Posted Image
Let the test run for about 6-7 passes and errors should look like the error in the picture (red line with error info)

*After I leave it on all night, how do I "stop" it without just cutting the power/or turning it off via power button?

Press the Escape key, and remove the Memtest CD from the drive, then shut down your computer.

If not, using power button is fine.

That should be all right too. You can't corrupt or damage anything if you use the power button during the memory test.

Edited by edge2022, 15 June 2009 - 08:44 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
If I remember correctly, Esc key should work.
If not, using power button is fine.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Edge was faster :)

Advertisements

Midnighter

Midnighter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
No, the screen does NOT look like that, it looks like this w/ a black screen and white text:

DX:0100.
CX:0202.
AX:0302
DX:8200
BX:0101.
@X:5201
etc...

That, with alternating random numbers and letters straight down to the very left of the screen, appearing to "scroll" down really fast. These things fill the whole left of the screen top to bottom, with only 7-8 characters wide. Sometimes the characters have periods at the end, sometimes with an @ sign at front.

Picture a completely black screen and with only white text and a whole block of those things to the very left scrolling "Matrix style" (as in, you know, their weird computer interface thingies?)

There are no options at the bottom saying for example: Esc:Exit or anthing like that.
Should I turn it off? It seems like it's an error. This has been going on for a few hours, I kept it running thinking this was memtest was supposed to look.

>>>>>>>
*Again, note that I couldn't run it by just inserting the CD, I had to do it "manually".
Via F12 > Boot Device Menu > Onboard or USB CD-ROM DRIVE.

THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN DOING WITH ALL THE ISO CD's. Maybe, that may be the error in this, I don't know.

Edited by Midnighter, 15 June 2009 - 10:03 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Maybe, you burned some wrong CD.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

*Again, note that I couldn't run it by just inserting the CD, I had to do it "manually".
Via F12 > Boot Device Menu > Onboard or USB CD-ROM DRIVE.

THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN DOING WITH ALL THE ISO CD's. Maybe, that may be the error in this, I don't know.

This is just how some motherboards and BIOSes work.

Make sure that you burned the CD properly. Try another brand, and burn at a slower speed.

Midnighter

Midnighter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
My mistake, I didn't notice that I burn a zipped memtest iso instead of the unzipped one--should work now.

EDIT: (see below)

Edited by Midnighter, 19 June 2009 - 07:45 PM.

Midnighter

Midnighter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
On the second thought, no, it still doesn't work. Using this ISO produces the same results as the other one. (Booted using 'Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive' in Boot Sequence... blah blah blah). I still get the same black screen that says 'Loading...' then a bunch of letters and numbers.

I can't see any other problem with the burning process... unless using Roxio is any different than ImgBurn (which I'll probably try).

Edited by Midnighter, 19 June 2009 - 07:46 PM.