Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows cant boot - Windows\system32\config\system

• Please log in to reply

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I think, it's always better to follow instructions.
ImgBurn said, use it.

Advertisements

Midnighter

Midnighter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
Yes, you're right, I definitely should. ImgBurn does work :)

(although the guy did say "using your favorite image burning software"... never mind)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

2. Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD, and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

ImgBurn makes burned CD bootable.

Midnighter

Midnighter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
Ok, thank you for clearing that up for me.

I apologize for the stupid question but, another thing that kinda confuses me now that I'm on the memtest screen-- how do I determine how much passes I make? Is it the Pass --% part, the Test --%, or the Test #-- ? Also, where do I record the errors? Thanks.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Here:

Posted Image

There is no record. If errors found, it'll tell you.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
http://shsc.info/Memtest86

Memtest runs indefinitely unless you stop it. It does however repeat the same tests over and over again. Memtest86+ contains a number of different tests which each take different approaches in trying to expose any errors in our memory. In the top right of your screen you can see the progress of each test in the lower of the two progress bars. The topmost progress bar shows the progress of a pass, each pass consists of all the tests in the memtest suite. Thus all tests are executed in one pass, so does that mean that no errors will show after the first pass if that pass didn't reveal any errors? Well no, there are several reasons why errors might only show up after a number of passes. Firstly as of this writing, the latest version of memtest also includes a test which uses random test patterns, each pass these patterns will of course be different. Secondly some types of errors simply don't show up until the system has been running for a while or are very critical on a certain timing condition, or other such conditions.

Midnighter

Midnighter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
Okay, memtest has currently completed 9 passes and still, no errors are found. Maybe I should just leave it on overnight? No harm in doing a couple more passes right?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Not at all. Even better.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Leave it overnight b/c you want to be 100% sure that RAM isn't an issue here. Once you do that, run hard drive diagnostics and come back with the results.

Midnighter

Midnighter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
Alright, memtest is done... 37 passes, still no errors.

Moving on to the hard drive diagnostics, how do you know who is your hard drive manufacturer?
I'm trying to look for it in my System Info and stuff and found a couple of things:
Drive 0: SATA-0
Drive Details: *Drive ID = Samsung SP2504C

Not quite sure, but is this it?

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Yep, Samsung.

Midnighter

Midnighter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
Ok, after booting with the Disk Manager CD, I got this screen-- nothing like the directions screen in the website:

Samsung Disk Manager:

o Add New Hard Disk - Instructions on how to connect a new hard drive to your computer.
o Install Existing Hard Disk - Setup a hard drive already connected to you computer.
o Maintenance Options - Maintain your Disk Manager installation
o Utilities - Disk Manager hard drive utilities
o Hard Disk Info - View info about your hard disk drives

Edited by Midnighter, 22 June 2009 - 05:29 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'd rather suggest ES-Tool (The Drive Diagnostic Utility): http://www.tacktech....tid=287#samsung

Midnighter

Midnighter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
Ah... I thought they were the same things.

Midnighter

Midnighter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
Alright, first "Step" is done, Drive Diagnostic with the scans and stuff. The HDD has no error. Now it is asking me to do a Low Level Format 1 with options to either partially or entirely erase the drive, should I do this next step, or is there something we should do first?

Edited by Midnighter, 22 June 2009 - 07:10 PM.