Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Com Surrogate has stopped working

• Please log in to reply

roobyroob

roobyroob

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
I have no idea what this means but I used the search option on here and followed what someone else has done to resolve the problem and it didnt work. Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks
Rachael

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Do you have DivX or Nero installed on your computer? The fix you found on here - was that to download the ffdshow codecs? This is the link you want, the download option is on the right. Here's some other useful fixes I found at another website:
  • If you are using DivX, you should be upgraded to the very latest version.
  • If you are using Nero, you can try upgrading to the latest version.
  • If you've upgraded Nero and Divx and still have the problem, you can try renaming the file C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\DSFilter\NeVideo.ax to NeVideo.ax.bak. You may also need to rename NeVideoHD.ax to NeVideoHD.bak This will break Nero Showtime, however. (thanks to dugi in the comments for this one)
  • Uninstalling Nero entirely sometimes works.
  • Some users have recommended installing the Vista Codec Package in order to update all your codecs to the correct versions. I can’t confirm that this works because I have not tried it myself. As always, be careful when installing unknown components and create a restore point.
  • You can use the very useful MMCompView free utility from Nirsoft to disable any codecs on the system. This is very useful to help troubleshoot exactly which component is causing the problem.
  • There’s another possible solution below of turning off DEP for dllhost, which might not work for everybody. You may have to add divx+nero executables to the DEP ignore list.

Hope this helps,
Jason

roobyroob

roobyroob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I renamed the files and thats worked :)

Thanks alot
Rachael

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Your welcome.

That can possibly break Nero Showtime I hope you read, come back to this thread if you still need help. For the time being, glad I could help. :)

-Jason